Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2002 lakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 lakota

well i finally got the gear case cover off...the sprocket nut buzzed off with an cordless impact gun. but anywho...i got the cover off and i can replace it, but theres a new problem. in the middle there was a silver round metal piece called the bearing housing for the gear case i guess with 5 lil bolts in it. i took them out cuz the gasket for tthe cover goes behind this part, so im assuming i gotta take it out, but i removed the bolts and this thing dont wanna come out. any suggestions anybody??? i have pictures of this part and highlighted some things, but i dont know how to get pictures on this forum...so i dunno

Old 01-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 2002 lakota

Get an account at photobucket and upload the pics there. Then click little box next to the pics you wanna post and click "generate HTML" at the bottom. Then copy the "forum images" link and come back here and paste them into a reply to this thread. Then click preview to be sure everythnig is the way you want it.

I have a Lakota and the manual for it and will be glad to help, but I have never torn into the spot of the engine that you are working on and the pics would be a big help.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 lakota

alright cool thank you. you actually have the repair maintenance book for the 02 lakota? i would have bought it but its like 50 bucks for a book im hardly ever gonna use, actually just once cuz im sellin my lakota after this. but yah i got the pics on here now so it should help. i have them marked too so i'll explain everything for you. Name:  housing1.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  33.5 KB
ok in this image, i have the front sprocket and the transmission cover off. the red dots represent where the 5 bolts are for this "bearing housing". the red circle is the bearing housing. the blue circle is a "screw"??? thats inside of the "bearing housing". supposedly this screw comes out of the housing but i dunno how. theres no way unless you get the housing off, which even tho i have the 5 bolts removed it only wants to come out about 1/8 of an inch and stops, but it spins both directions freely. which i have pointed out below. and the blue outline below is the shape of the inside of this "screw" its like a hex but its is really tight between that and the shaft. im thinkin you have to use a 2 jaw puller of some sort to maybe pull the housing out. i duno, i'll leave it up to your book to tell us.

Name:  bearinghousing2.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  35.4 KB

Old 01-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 2002 lakota

Well, it took me some time to find it, but... 1) Remove the transmission cover. 2) Remove the collar from the countershaft. (Looks like yours is still there in the pics. They show using a pair of needle nose pliers and just pull it off). 3) Remove all the bolts and remove bearing housing from crankcase. Simple as pie!

To install it says 1) Fit a new transmission cover gasket. 2) Set the bearing housing in place on the crankcase. 3) Install 5 bolts and torque to 12 N-m or 106 in-lbs. 4) Install the collar by performing the following: a) Lub the oring on the countershaft. b) Set the collar on the countershaft with the chamfered side facing in toward the crankcase. c) Rotate the collar and gently push it over the oring until the collar bottoms against the bearing. 5) Install the transmission cover.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 lakota

wow, ok, that does sound easy, and yes the collar is still on...haha, i feel really dumb...wow, hey um bud, there's one more thing...on the transmission cover, cuz i really only am replacing the cover, cuz i got 2 holes in it when my chain flew off and cracked 2 of the bottom pieces of the cover off. but i needed to know how to get that housing off to place the new gasket. um...the oil seals on the tranny cover...does it say how to remove and install those? i tried to remove them yesterday just to see, but they're in there pretty good. and the new tranny cover doesnt come with those. so i kinda gotta know how to put those in at least. and whats your email? i might need to know a few more things down the road. like i have this one problem with the lakota where when u try the electric start, there's a clicking sound coming from the starter solenoid, like right by the airbox. any clues to what that is? i replaced it with a used one, but it did the same too. i was thinkin maybe my battery just needed charged which im doin now but the damn charging lite wont go off and its been over 24 hours. my email is onlybg21@aol.com if u prefer to just talk that way.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 2002 lakota

You should really replace those seals. If not, try putting the cover in the oven for a while to heat the aluminum up and make it expand. Dont let the seals melt or catch fire though. Use a socket or piece of tube and try to knock them out.

You probably do need a new battery. Try changing one out of a car or something that has a known good battery and see if that makes a difference.

One good thing about these forums is we can post stuff that might help someone down the road. I don't know how many times I've searched a forum n found something somebody said yrs ago that helped me out. Half of the stuff I tell everybody else if just regurgitated info I read somewhere online.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 lakota

haha, yah, thanks man. i just got that collar pulled off and got the housing out. and i just ordered all the parts i need for that, plus some other things like a new chain/disc guard.. long story, lol. um yah im going to replace those oil seals, i just wanted to get an idea how they are placed, remove and install, like u said, a socket or pipe and pop it out, but what about putting them in. same way? man i cant tell you how much i appreciate ur help, i was tryin to figure that our for a few days now. Thank you

Old 01-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 2002 lakota

No problem, glad to help. Use a socket and some oil to put them back in. Go slow and try not to mangle the seal.

There are a few other good threads about the lakota on here. I have replied to a few of them since getting my lakota.

How come you are selling? Just curious.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 lakota

well, im selling it because i dont need it. im carless right now. and i just got my license back. so i have like 400 bucks rite now, which im using half of it to fix up the lakota better so i can sell it for more and it will sell quicker. plus i'll get my tax return, and whatever i get for the quad, i'll have plenty for a decent vehicle and insurance. plus im getting unemployment right now. so yah. i was telling u about the noise from the solenoid right. well i had my battery charging for like 2 days, i hooked it up today, and turned the key on neutral light came on brighter than before. but when i tried to start it with the button, that clicking vibrating noise came from there still. in ur manual see if you can find like starting trouble or anything on the starter solenoid located next to the air element box under the plastics. like i said i have 2 solenoids they both do it, the ones the original, and ones i used one i bought on ebay(stupid). im havin the battery tested tomorrow to see if its even holding a charge at all. i might still have to buy a new battery.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default 2002 lakota

Dont need the book on this one. A soleniod (or relay - same thing) is basically 2 switches in one package. Its is designed to keep the **** from gettin shocked outta you. How it works is when you close switch #1, switch #2 closes in response. So, when you have a dead battery, and close switch #1, switch 2 closes and drains the battery, which opens switch #1 again auotmatically until the battery recharges itself over a few milliseconds, then its closes again, and then #2 closes again, and drains the battery again, and on and on and on....... That is the clicking you hear. Switches opening and closing. Get a good battery and the noises go away because there is enough power to hold all the switches closed. Its either a dead battery or the wires are so badly corroded that juice can't flow without having to jump over corrosion. Make certain your connections are in good shape.

There are 2 relays because one is connected to the starter button and the other is connected to the neutral light. The quad won't start unless its in nuetral and you have to press the button. Leave either one of those out and it wont go. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 2002 lakota