Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Okay, the battery is dead... What now

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, the battery is dead... What now

As some of you may know, the new '08 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 does not have a recoil starter. It is 'optional'.

First off, I did run my battery down by leaving the key on.

When you're at home or in camp, no big deal. Jump it or charge it. But what do you do when you're in the back country? Any suggestions? Carry a spare battery? Use a 12VDC lighter plug to plug to jump it off another quad with an outlet?

If the battery is dead, will a recoil starter start a Fuel Injected motor (fuel pump)?

Just looking for some insight.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The 700 KQ has a recoil on it.... But no normal human can pull it, so what good does that do? I guess its just like your car... If the battery goes dead, what do you do??? WALK! LOL

Always park on the top of a big hill and maybe it will start after a good push down it. (I dont know if CVTs will start that way or not)

Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Range Rover

If you have a gear shifter then jump start it. If it wont stay running after that then disconnect the terminals to the battery. If it doesnt have any gears then you're
S-O-L. Do what I did, I have a battery buddy in my rear hard trunk. I have the recoil starter on mine. I weigh 300 lbs., bench press 330 lbs. and curl 80 lbs. with each arm almost everyday and I still have a hard time pulling mine.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: quadzilla420

I have the recoil starter on mine. I weigh 300 lbs., bench press 330 lbs. and curl 80 lbs. with each arm almost everyday and I still have a hard time pulling mine.</end quote></div>

LOL, that's funny! Who was it that said the manufacturers design quads for a person weighing 160lbs???? Apparently the recoil is just a decoration because it would serve no practical purpose unless you could tie a rope to it and jump from a tree while hanging on. LOL

Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its never a good idea to ride alone, so if you know the battery is iffy, then pack along a light duty set of jumper cables. Either the guys you ride with, or the next stranger coming down the trail, can jump start the wheeler.
Kawasakis wont bump start.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Pulling a recoil start on v twin Kawi is not bad at all. I tried many times even when battry was good, just to make sure the recoil start works on my Kawi if I ever end up with dead battery some where deep in the woods. The trick is to open the throtte about 1/4 as you pull up the recoil (or have someone else hold the throttle). If a 170 lbs 46 year old man can do it, I would think many of you can.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Wow, a 300lb body builder has trouble and a 170lb guy thinks its easy??? Talk about yer conflicting data, lol. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Does the 1/4 throttle trick work on efi and carb machines?

Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, what a difference.
It's not just I "think" it is easy. I do it easily. Go out and pull one up yourself as I described above - it's all about the technique.

I don't know about efi because I don't have one. Some efi quads shut off the fuel pump or the spark if throttle is applied more than 1/8 opening while cranking to start the engine like on the KSF450. But I know this works on carbed v twin Kawi quads that I have.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'll have to try that next time I get the opportunity. I know on my kick starting quad, its easier to kick if I position the piston on the compression stroke and then hit the decomp lever and kick. That gives me one full revolution before I get back to the compression stroke again (where it gets hard to kick),,, and by that time I have so much momentum built that I kick right thru it. Maybe the same sorta concept can be applied to a recoil.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustRandy

The 700 KQ has a recoil on it.... But no normal human can pull it, so what good does that do?</end quote></div>

My brother & I both have '07 KQ700's and have used the pull start. It IS possible to do.........................

Quick Reply: Okay, the battery is dead... What now