Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2008 bf650 please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008 | 10:02 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default 2008 bf650 please help

I took my new 650 sra out today for its maiden trail voyage. Started out okay...machine idled fine, seemed to be warmed up. Got to the trailhead, bout a half mile from my house...started climbing the first big hill and periodically lost power and had grey smoke pouring out of tail pipe. When I say lost power I mean that when i would push the throttle nothing would happen...then all of a sudden I would get a burst of power and then back to before. Finally the machine seemed to warm up and those problems went away, never resurfaced.

Once the machine seemed to warm up, everytime I would come to a stop it would die. Wouldn't hold an idle. I had to start in gear while giving throttle in order to get moving again, not very convenient when going from low to high and vice versa. Required me to stop, engine would die, shift to high or low and then restart the engine while giving some throttle and holding the brake, probably not good for the rear brake.

When I got home I tried adjusting the idle ****, all it does is turn, doesn't seem to do anything, the line just spins and spins, **** seems to do nothing but turn the line. I thought maybe there was too much play in the throttle cable itself, so i removed the boot and adjusted the throttle cable so that it would hold an idle. All seemed fine, however now when i turn the wheels to the right the engine dies, when i turn the wheels to the left the idle skyrockets.

What's going on here, cable doesn't seem to be binding, seems to have plenty of play, nor does it seem to be damaged. Any suggestions??? I'm starting to miss my little prairie.

Old 03-01-2008 | 10:13 PM
|
Trailblazer

If possible, I'd like to fix this myself, w/ the advice of my fellow bf riders...I don't have a trailer, other than my camper w/ an atv rack, not the most convenient for hauling in for repiars. Would have to go to the dealership, pick up a trailer...blah blah blah...then leave it for who knows how long.

Thanks

Old 03-01-2008 | 10:47 PM
|
Trailblazer

Another bit of information... I took off the plastic that covers the handlebars, when i pull on the throttle cable, which has a good 6-8 inches of play, the idle goes up and down. The choke cable seems to have a bit of play as well. I'm getting frustrated. My only solice is that I know you folks will have the answers I'm looking for.

thanks again

Old 03-02-2008 | 11:58 AM
|
Trailblazer

Nobody's had to adjust their idle?

Old 03-02-2008 | 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

first off the smoke coming from the tailpipe and loss of power almost 100% of the time is that your oil is a little too full and when you climb a hill it gets sucked into the intake and air filter, which causes the loss of power and smoke. Check your oil, it should only be halfway between the top and bottom marks on the stick after it is screwed all the way in and has been sitting not running for approx 5 min. With it not idleing i guess the first thing i would check, is the air filter to see if it is soaked with oil, and not getting enough air. If it is clean it with carb clean and let it dry, then start adjusting the idle after warmup. hope this is a start.

Old 03-02-2008 | 08:27 PM
|
Trailblazer

I went for another ride today after fiddling all night and it did exactly the same thing, died everytime I stopped. I tried adjusting the idle but all the **** did was turn and turn as if doing nothing, I rode home furious..."I'm taking this piece of crap in first thing in the morning." When I got home I discovered that the idle screw itself was just hanging loose. Either it was not installed properly at the factory or dealership or it worked itself loose on the trail, which is doubtful since it was doing this from the get go. I screwed the idle screw back into the carb and wouldn't you know it...the problem went away. The aircleaner also had oil on it, cleaned that and I'm good to go. I can say that I love the power of the 650 compared to the prairie and now that it will idle, I can say that I'm a proud owner once again.

Thanks again