Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

mojave overheating HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mojave overheating HELP!"></title><script src=

Well my parts FINALLY came in this afternoon!! I picked them up, went home installed thermostat, radiator cap and filled the system. The damn thing wont start!!! I have plenty of gas in it, key is on....its a kick start and I am not sure if its starved for gas or not getting spark???? A couple bits of info for you that might help is that when I removed the gas tank I did have it upside down temporarily, not sure if that could cause a problem...also my choke cable came loose from the carb when installing the carb, I did put it back in but I am not positive if the cable is really opening the choke. I did wire the fan into light switch. I dont think wiring has anything to do with it due to the fact that it is a kick start, but I could be wrong. I hope I didnt screw anythng up..... Appreciate your help.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default mojave overheating HELP!"></title><script src=

Wanted to add a few things to my last post....I messed wih the mojave today, and it does have spark, the carb is getting fuel and I think I fixed the choke. Does the choke plunger just kind of sit in there and either allow or not allow fuel in? If so I did fix it, the threads were stripped so the cable and plunger would not stay in carb. I fixed that problem, but before I did I tested the choke cable and it worked. Not sure if you would know this but m[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]y on/off is rubbed off on the engine stop sitch box on the handlebar...which way is on?/ LEFT or RIGHT??The wiring now I hope is ok, the only thing I did was wire the fan to the light switch, so just incase I messed something up there I reversed it back to normal again. I took the sark plug wire off stuck a new plug in it and laid it on block...kick started and it made spark..I am not sure if its something in a wire being crossed that I didnt put back right somewhere between the ignition switch and the engine stop switch on the handlebars...Or if its something I did wrong when putting the engine back together like screwing up the compression or something???? Any ideas??? I just want to have fun with the thing already!!! Thanks...

Old 07-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Range Rover
Default mojave overheating HELP!

does it try to backfire or even sound like it is trying to start? I dont think that you would have hurt anything by wiring it to the light switch, but maybe you can check your fuse by the battery just to see if it blew. Does your light still turn on? When you put your cam chain back on, the "T" beneath that cap and the indicators on the cams lined up at exactly the same time, right(the cams should have markings on the head somewhere to line up with)? Did you try it with the new plug installed? Does the carb have a good seal between it and the head, no leaks in the manifold? You have oil in the case (i dont know if the mojave has it or not but some machines have an oil level sensor that will kill the engine if it runs too low on oil). Do you have any shorts in your wiring- check under the seat and under the front hood - maybe you pinched a wire to the metal as you bolted it all back together. Are all connectors plugged back in? Just for giggles try wiring the fan back up to the original wires. If you have a shot of ether or starting fluid try squirting some of that into your carb then try to kick start and see if it gives you a response. If the switch is the same as the lakota the run side is to the right. When you pull you spark plug is is wet with gas? if so, shine a light into your spark plug hole and see if you have standing gas in there. If that is the case your float on your carb must be stuck and keeps letting gas in. I would also pull your plastics and and go through the steps that you took when you took it apart and make sure you put it all back the way it is supposed to be. Thats about all I have for now. Hope that helps.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

No backfire no start...every 5 or 6 kicks I get a slight sound that sounds like air/compression..almost like its doing what its suppose to but wont start...I dont have a battery, only kick start and the light runs off the engine power only when ATV is running....I am pretty positive I lined everything up when setting the chain/cams...there is a leak coming from carb, but it is from what looks like a port at the very bottom of the carb..everytime I try to kickstart it a bunch of times while holding throttle open in hopes that it would start I notice a tiny bit of gas has dripped out of that port..I thought it might be some sort of overflow or something since I probably flooded it trying so many times. I have keihin CVK34 carb..I changed the oil and the check window looks good, right where it should be...the plastics are all off...I dont see any pinches....just as you suggested I thought the same thing and wired the fan back to normal yesterday...I will check the standing gas and plug today...hopefully its something like the float in the carb...and then try the starting fluid..I really appreciate the help again, if you have any other suggestions Im listening...well hopefully soon I can write in and tell some fun trail stories, instead of this ongoing ridiculous battle....

Old 07-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer

Been following your tail of distress. The float in the carb. has nothing to do with getting juice to the spark plug. You need to check your Coil or Magneto not for sure which your bike has, plug wire, ALL of your fuses. For some reason of another your not getting enough juice to the plug.
NO juice ,NO fire.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

Yesterday I took the plug wire off leaving the original plug in engine put a brand new plug into the plug wire laid it on the exhaust pipe and went to kickstarting...it sparked everytime...but do you think its possibly not getting enough spark to fire?? where should i check next to see if its losing at a certain point???Its a 99 mojave 250 and I believe I have both magneto and coil..I appreciate your help....

Old 07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

The reason I said to check for standing fluid in the cylinder is because if the carb float is stuck open and the intake valve is open it can flood out. If you have a lot of standing fuel in you cylinder it will not fire, as it is the vapors that ignite, not the liquid. I am sure you have heard of people putting out cigarettes in gas. They can only do this if the gas hasnt been agitated for a while. I know that it has nothing to do with the spark but it does have something to do with what happens when it sparks. And definately check any and all fuses you have, but as far as I can tell you only have one. For some reason when I pull up the ignition switch diagram it has your break light switch on it. I cant imagine it being linked other than not letting the taillight come on if the key is off, but it may be worth a quick look if all else fails. I am running out of ideas.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

Well if you put a knew plug in the wire and are able easily to see the smark as you kick it over then you have more than enough power reaching the plug. I understand esonnen's point on the fuel. No a gas engine will not run on raw fuel but there's no since and getting fuel to the cylinder if there's nothing to burn it. Now that you have a spark you need to make sure you have air and fuel. But to much off both lead to fuel running out the bottom of your carb and the motor sounding like an air compressor.
Have checked your jets. You said that the choke wasn't working.
The choke has every thing to do with air not fuel.
The choke limits air flow to the motor. Which in turn lowers vacuum and fuel.
So if the choke ain't working then that may be your problem, One of them anyway.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

Well I removed the plug and the tip smelt like gas , but how strong it should smell or not smell I dont know, and I looked through the timing window and moved the crank manually to TDC everything seemed ok and at TDC the piston was almost at the top that I could see thru the spark plug hole..should there be any stiffness while cranking manually, It seems to get a little stiffer on the way up i believe then flows nice from there...but would it matter whether the piston was up or down when looking for standing gas...I will tell you this when I cranked the engine over a few times manually i was looking into the spark plug hole at the same time and everytime the piston came up I got a big puff of gas smell in my face...again not sure if this is common??? I did leave it at TDC and looked and saw no gas, but maybe I am missing something....whats the easiest way to check to see if the float is open?? The manual really doesnt offer great details on this...I didnt see any fuses, where would it be...do you think i need to check the compression? if so do ATV'S take a special compression tester? thanks again...

Old 07-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

I'm no carb tech but when you have the plug out you are going to smell gas at some degree on every stroke because its not being burned off. The stiffness on the up stroke is normal to any engine. Put the plug in it. shoot a little carb cleaner in the carb and you may need some help with this but as you kick it over like you would normally do trying to start it, place your hand over the carb to simulate the choke. do not touch the throttle at all while doing this it will just flood it out. If it tries to start that means your choke it not working. You may have to crank it over a few times. It seems to me that you've narrowed it down to the air fuel mix which means its something in the carb. whether your getting to much or to little fuel or air is your battle now.

Quick Reply: mojave overheating HELP!