Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

mojave overheating HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mojave overheating HELP!

Just did a little research on your carb . it is vacuum dependent. Be sure to check all of your vacuum lines. questions on the vacuum lines just google your carb and there are a couple pics you just need to look for them.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

Great..thanks..I can definately do that... I will try that tomorrow and let you know the outcome..I really appreciate the help..

Old 07-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Range Rover

From the diagram it looks like the fuse comes off of your generator (larger piece of plastic or rubber attached to your wire-should open up with fuse inside). I know you said the spark plug smelled like gas, was it wet? if so, Try shutting off your fuel from you gas tank. Drain your carburetor bowl. With spark plug removed try kicking it over 5-10 times. Put in spark plug, kick it a few more times (it may even sputter or briefly run while you do this), then open line from gas tank and keep on kicking (it will probably take about 3 seconds for fuel to get into the carb and less than 30 seconds for the carb bowl to fill up, so if you don't get a response during the 1st minute or two after turning on the fuel I would say it is time to try something different. bigpig750 is definitely right on his advice. Sometimes if a machine is flooded out just holding the throttle wide open as you try to start it will let it fire up. It is normal to get a little stiffness at different parts as you crank the engine because valve springs compress and if the spark plug is in then you are also dealing with the actual compression, it which case it should be considerably harder on the compression stroke. the easiest way to see if the float is stuck open, that I know of, is to remove the carb from the manifold and the air filter side but leave the fuel line hooked up and hold or position the carb in close to a normal orientation. With your gas line on, if you are seeing gas drip anywhere from the carb (besides whatever fuel you may have sloshed around while removing it) then your float is not working properly. If no gas comes out after maybe 5 min, then your float is probably working fine (unless it is stuck closed which does not seem to be the case with you since you are getting gas into the carb. A couple of posts ago you mentioned a leak coming out of the carb, so we may be on the right track. I dont know for sure but for some reason in the back of my head I keep thinking that carburetors have an overflow relief to prevent gas from going into the intake or into the filter. That is probably what that leak is. I'm sorry things aren't going as smooth as they should for you on this and I feel like I have you running around in circles but I am really trying my best to help you out. Hopefully soon you will have a smooth running machine that doesn't overheat.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Not at all...you guys have been a huge help, I would have been lost....I will do all this tomorrow and let you know what happens...one question, how do I drain the carb bowl?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Range Rover

on this diagram http://fiche.ronayers.com/Inde...r(1/2)(KSF250-A17/A18) loosen the screw #92009A. it is the lowest screw on your carburator, on the right side, just above the hose that connects to the bottom. You dont have to take the screw all the way out, just loosen until gas starts to come out.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

awesome! thank you...let you tomorrow...

Old 07-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer

The BEAST is alive!!! so much gas came out of the carb it was ridiculous....followed your steps and it fired up....It might have been a combo of things, I think my wiring may have stopped it from starting which in turn allowed it flood during my 1000 attempts or I have a carb problem...the reason I dont think I have a carb problem is beacause I have shut it off and restarted it about 10 times in the last 2 hours with no problems, with the longest down time being 30min.and it will fire up on no more than 3 kicks..not sure if this is a true test might have to see if it starts tomorrow morning after a night of cold rest....but anyway I am thrilled to finally be moments away from my first real trail ride...the only thing holding me up now is wiring up the fan again...i tried a few different ways over the last 2 hours and no luck...I thought stealing power from the light switch power wire would work...(red wire)...Nope no luck...i tried everything...I am not to sure about the rectifier if it has anything to do with it...according to the wiring diagram the blue wire to fan is power, so I ran a wire from that to the red power wire on light switch...and I tried to ground it a couple ways..no luck..I think what is confusiong me is the white wire coming from the rectifier to the fan switch...it doesnt run to the fan, but to the fan switch...the fan only has a black wire and a blue wire..which the black goes to a black/yellow which goes to ground...blue goes fan swich just like the white then back to recdtifier...am I suppose to connect the white and blue together then run a power wire to them?? and where should I steal power from?? Wow I really hope this is it, and from here on out I can write in to you guys with trail stories and upgrades....thanks again...

Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

I want to add one more thing to my last post....I just tried wiring the white and blue together and then I ran the light switch red power wire to the blue and no fan on, but it shut the light off everytime I touched it to the blue..fi i touched the redto blue light went off, when I removed it light went back on...what am I doing here??? I feel close to solving it....please help....

steps I took.

removed white and blue connectors from fan switch on radiator

connected them together

ran a wire from light switch red power wire to the blue wire on fan

confused...i figured everything that needed to be grounded would still be, and all i needed to do was get power to it...i dont know..

Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

if you have a scanner, email me the wiring diagram that you have and maybe I can help you out- all I have are the microfiche things available that I have sent you links to, which only show complete harnesses.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

BTW I am glad to hear that you got it going!!!!

Quick Reply: mojave overheating HELP!