Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

05 BF750 Carb issue, Need a GURU

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 BF750 Carb issue, Need a GURU

I hear ya! Thanks for taking the time on this one. I agree, my fuel level is low. How that happened I dont know. I'll probably tackle it tomorrow. What a pain with this trial and error stuff. I'm thinking that I will drop the float heights from 3mm (both) to 2mm for the rear and 1mm for the front for a start. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I adjusted the floats this morning. I'm definitely in the ballpark with them. Just less than 3/4" from below the punch marks on both carbs. Manual says 3mm measured then do the tube test. I now have mine set for 2mm on the rear adn 1.5mm on the front.

Heres what I now have. Still SOME bogging and popping through the exhaust. If I hold it floored it pops and stutters then catches and screams great. Definitely better with some choke on. If I hold it at 1/4 throttle it runs smooth but there is a slight popping in the exhaust. If I hold it at 3/4 throttle she pops real good until I push it to full throttle. Then she catches.

So since I now have full throttle there has to be something wrong with the pilot or slow speed circuits. I have the pilot screws turned out the factory 2 1/4 turns. When I took the carbs apart there werent any plugs on the pilot screws. The front screw was out 3 turns. I dont know what the front one was because I had to drill that one out.

We know the main jets are clean because I now have full throttle. My #38 jets are clean as I can see light through them in a nice round hole. Do you think that the hole might have some corrosion on its walls making the hole slightly smaller? When I take out #38 and spray cleaner in the hole it comes out the small 4 holes in the venturi nicely, so the passage is clear.

Any ideas????? Anyone???

Old 08-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

Quick question. Looking down the venturi of this carb, right at the butterfly, there are 4 small holes. They get fuel from the #38 jet. I've blown cleaner through the passage with no jet installed and all 4 holes shoot cleaner. When running I dont see anything coming out of those holes on either carb. Is it because the air is moving so quickly down the venturi I cant notice it?

Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer

I'm sure that you cant see the fuel from the holes because the mist is much finer and smaller than your carb cleaner. Why would there be something wrong with the pilot jet? I thought it was running good at idle to mid-range. The engine should be at operating temp when adjusting and testing. And of course make sure your carb boots are tight to eliminate vacuum leaks.
Seems lean to me on the main jet and needle on midrange to upper. It's about how my Brute performed when I bought it.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer

Definitely starting and idling good. I always spray some cleaner on the boots when i start her up to check for leaks. I notice a slight amount of fuel right where the main needle goes into the jet holder at the bottom of the venturi. Both carb are like that. I guess a small amount of fuel always passes the main jet????

As of now, if I lean into the throttle, not too quickly, she will rev fine with no popping. If I jump on it she will stutter, slightly bog and then catch on the top end. Seems like something in the 1/2 to 3/4 throttle range.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer

Shhhh! The carbs are soaking. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again for the help.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

Hi!! Ok, the carbs soaked overnight, I blew compressed air through all passages and reassembled. The diaphrams werent moving when I revved it but after some tinkering they are now working. As for running, runs the same. Starts and idles great after 1/4 throttle she breaks up and if I hold her floored she eventually catches and screams. I'm lost on this one. Going to check running fuel level again to make sure. Any ideas???????

Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, front running fuel level was slightly high. I adjusted it and both carbs are on the money at 3/4" below the punch marks.

Still running the same.

Tried 3 turns out on the pilot screw and it ran WORSE. Tried 2 turns out and its about the same as the factory setting of 2 1/4 which is what I have them set at now.

Runs great if I mist carb cleaner over the carb while revving it.

Fellas, I'M LOST ON THIS ONE. Please give me some ideas!!!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Trailblazer

As I said, richen the main jet by raising the needles or increasing the jet size by one number.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

IT'S DONE!!! Its running like brand new!! Let me start off by saying I"ve rebuilt alot of carbs and never ran into a headache like this one. I put the airbox back on and hooked up all the hoses. Unbelieveable. It runs like a champ. Blasted down the block and she'll lift the wheels no problem. Bunt my leg on the exhaust because of no plastic on the left side, but it was worth it.

Too bad I ordered some 38's and 40's on ebay but I guess they'll just go in the parts tray.

Guys, I cant thank you enough (especially PoRider) for all the tips, ideas and thoughts. Guys like you make these forums GREAT!!!! Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 05 BF750 Carb issue, Need a GURU