Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

belt light stalls

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt light stalls

Hello again, I just posted but now I've gone thru the search for belt light and someone says that when the belt light comes on the bike will stop running properly until checked. This cannot be right can it?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its right

its a bs trick to get more money out of you

Old 08-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kukerdan

its right
its a bs trick to get more money out of you</end quote></div>

What exactly will happen to my machine over 100 hours? I'm at 101 hours still no flashing lights on the dash.
I have trouble believing that the machine will go into limp mode for a check light.....what happens if I'm out and about and off into the woods and it decides that now is the time for a service check? Does it actually kick down? I've been afraid to take my machine on any serious trips recently because of being close to the 100 hours and worried that the machine might go into limp mode...so I've not been taking it anywhere serious, and now it's over 100 hours and still no check light so I'm still worried to take it anywhere because I might be in a ton of mud when it finally decides to start the flashing? This is nuts!

Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

The limp mode was put in place as a safety item. If the belt isn't checked for wear on a regular basis (every 100 hours) there is a risk according to Kawi that it could break and jam, causing injury to the rider in a crash. Yes, it's also convenient that it is a $$$ service call. Don't worry about it. Take along the tools you need to remove your belt cover (it's just a few) and reset it yourself when it does happen. Takes 30 minutes and can be done on the trail if you want. I think you can even preempt the electronic clock by removing the cover, flipping the switch, and resetting it before the limp mode. But I'm not sure of this, though. I'm trying to recall if you even have to flip the switch. My 650 has a connector that you reverse and reverse back. Ask your dealer about your model.

What will happen? Total self destruction.....naw, it will just limit your speed to 20 or so to get you out of where you are.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Trailblazer

Okay, I called Kawasaki today because so many say it will go into limp mode at the 100 hour. Kawasaki guarantees that it does not go into limp mode at the 100 hours....and said they get this call all the time. Even my dealer states that it will go into limp mode at 100hours. I do believe kawasaki because of him mentioning how many times he answers this per day but I'll soon know for sure anyways. It only goes into limp mode if the switch is flipped because of belt wear/damage indicator is past tolerances. Limp mode will only allow you to travel at 5 mph as well.
Thanks for the responses.