Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

89 BAYOU 300 4X2 MODS 4-stroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 BAYOU 300 4X2 MODS 4-stroke

Sorry if my topic seems odd, I am a newb to forum and to 4 wheelers in general. I recently traded my waterworld for the dirtworld and am enjoying it very much. I've been doing alot of so called research on my bayou and realize that I know nothing about 4 wheelers. I was hoping someone could help me out and tell me things I could do to make my 4 wheeler more interested other than appearance.

I've been trail riding and lite muddin, but would like better suspension, tires and possibly more power. What are some add-ons for appearances anyone can link me too as well.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

We keep a bike like yours at one of our farms and I am afraid that you are going to be hard pressed to find aftermarket stuff for that year and model. Most stuff seems to be geared towards 4WD or performance ATV's. You can go with more aggressive tires and a better set of shocks to improve its usefulness in mud and with a 2WD, if you are riding alone I would invest in a winch. I didn't want to spend the money, so I just threw a "come along" on with a length of chain. You probably can't find undercarriage protection, but I doubt you will need it as I have run over just about everything there is except rocks and haven't broken anything. In our rush to bigger, more powerful 4WD's we have overlooked the fun that can be had on a machine such as yours. They are light and very maneuverable, enjoy yours.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for the reply! I had it out with my buddies over the weekend and it went through just about everything without a problem. They have newer 4x4's and got stuck a few times and mine didn't have any problem, although I kept on the throttle a bit more than they did going through the mud in low gears. I definitely need better tires and shocks and if possible raise it a bit for the deeper water/mud pockets.

I've been doing alot of research on different atv's and some of the best ones out there can be found very cheap in my neighborhood so I plan on adding to what I got already.

thanks again for the info!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Skiddles, these little bikes are often overlooked and under appreciated for their fun factor. While I now ride an 08 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS, I kept my Bayou and an even older 87 Yamaha YFM 225 2WD and won't get rid of them due to sentimental reasons. Due to a disability I had to go to an automatic transmission and I need the extra power and traction for work on my farm. I do miss the nimbleness of the smaller bikes. One of my son's likes the smaller bikes because if he gets in a bad situation, he just picks one end up and turns it around or picks it up out of the mud or off of a log, try that with a stuck 4X4. I have also found the smaller bikes a little more stable on traversing hills crosswise; know we aren't suppose to but we do.

With the power of the 300 Bayou, you should be able to pull taller and wider tires which will give you more ground clearance and improved traction. You can certainly save a lot of money and have as much if not more fun on used bikes than buying new as many tend to abandon perfectly good machines in search of the "newer and better". Welcome to the sport and I know you will enjoy it.