Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute Force 650I or Brute Force 650 vs. Yamaha Grizzly

Old 11-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute Force 650I or Brute Force 650 vs. Yamaha Grizzly

After riding my wife's Prairie 360 4x4 I have come to the conclusion that I need to sell my Wolverine and buy a more comfortable quad. So, here is the question that I pose and it is a 2 to 3 part question.

First, what is the difference between the Brute Force 650 I and the Brute Force 650, other than independent suspension?

Next, what are the pro's and con's to having independent suspension verses the straight axle with the regular 650? I have heard that some people don't like independent suspension, but have never really understood why. I know that it gives a more comfortable ride, but what are the draw back?

Finally, here's the whammy; how does the Brute Force 650 compare, or hold up to Yamaha's Grizzly or to the Honda Rincon? I ask because these are the three that I am looking at and comparing.

To help aid in answering these question that I have, I'll include what type of riding I typically do. I live in NE Ohio and ride mostly in/on wooded trails which are a mix of rocky to extremely muddy conditions. We also have and abundance of hilly trails and off camber terrain. I have seen Polaris struggle on extremely muddy trails due to their radiator clogging up and causing the bike to overheat. Thus, they are not on my list. Thanks for filling me in to the opinions that are out there.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

well irs is extremly tippy, atleast on the 750 it is.. i rode the 750 bf and when u go around corners you need to slow down alot.. it tipps alot on hills

irs is comfortable and not as good for towing/work from wat i heard

Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

Well any make will plug up and overheat if you dont keep the rad clean, I carry a pressurized spray bottle to clean out the rad. , I have had the Griz 660 , the Prairie 650 and now a Bf 650 sra, the only one that has not got hot from rad pluggage is the BF cause I have not been in mud yet . Your kind of riding I have done with all of my quads and have had good times on all . The Bf 650sra will climb to the moon and is very stable. The Griz was awesome in the mud due to the tires I had on it. The only one I have not had that you spoke of is the rincon ,I know people who love them and people that hate them. I hear the tranny is $$$$ if bad. Good luck . Let us know what you get.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

I will go for a BF650 SRA for its reliability and fast trail riding ability.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies. I'm strongly leaning toward the BF 650sra and think that IRS would be nice for the smoother ride, but I think substituting the stability for smoothness will just get me into trouble. LOL Everything I have read concerning the IRS suggests that the bike becomes too tippy and kicking the rear around turns almost becomes non-existent. Does this info sound correct, or have I been misled?

Now all I have to do is find a buyer for my Wolverine.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

The 650i and the 650 are completely different machines. The SRA version is essentially the old prarie with Brute fenders. Both machines have their merrits but don't be mislead into thinking that the only difference is the rear suspension. Even the engine timing and many of the parts are different from each other.

I'm not too super interrested into getting into "what is better" scenario with regards to a fully independant suspension versus a non independant because the choice sould be very clear. The price reflects it as does the resale and the simple mechanics and physics of the situation is obvious. For extremely agressive trail riding you would probably like the SRA version better and for the mud you want the independant for it's capability to drop into low spots and keep the center from getting hung up.

As for the comparisons to Grizzs and ruby's the Grizz has a better CVT setup and optional EPS. The Honda has the best transmission on the planet and a price tag to match. Great machines, but I'd rather have the much cheaper Brute and upgrade where necessary.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

WOOOT!!! I just ordered a Red 2006 Brute Force 650i and since it is a leftover I got a heck of a deal. I also decided to upgrade the tires and ordered the machine with ITP Mudlite XTL along with a winch. Now I just have to wait until mid Dec to pick it up since this is the only time I have to make it to the dealer to pick it up. I can't wait!

What is everyone's opinion on break-in procedures? I have had quads before that I have followed the manufacture's break-in procedures and I've had quads where I just rode them as usual not worrying about anything other changing the oil after a couple of rides. Both instances, both machine worked and ran great for many years. So what is the best? I don't know. Does it really matter? I'm just looking for some feed back on everyone's experiences.
Thanks

Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I have started counting down until I can pick up my new Brute. It is exactly 6 days including today that I get to load it up into my truck. I'm sure that everyone is probably tired of me sounding like a little kid waiting on Christmas to arrive, but I just can't help it cause that's how I feel. Then the next wait will be until Sunday Dec. 14th before I get to take it out on the trail, regardless of the weather.

I'll be sure to post some pictures of it when I pick it up. As a test run of the pictures, to see if I can post them, here is a picture of my Wolverine that I'm trading in.

Name:  MicsNovember2008036.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  18.6 KB

Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

oh man your going to love your new Brute! I'm excited for ya!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

You will love the brute force. I wouldn't trade mine for any other Utility ATV.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brute Force 650I or Brute Force 650 vs. Yamaha Grizzly