Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

just purchased 06 650 sra BF

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just purchased 06 650 sra BF

Hello I just purchased my first atv for my 48th b-day...I have ridden other brands before that were borrowed from friends....I was not really attached to any make or model when looking for a machine...I was trying to save to put down payment on a new one, but decided to shop for used to save money and not have to worry about a payment and having to insure because of a loan...I saw a deal in local swap mag and decided to go for it..it was an 06 Kawasaki 650 sra BF with only 190 miles and low hours on it....it did have a few light trail scratches....I had now idea on prices for used, but paid after some dickering $3,400....Was this a fairly good buy? I have not had chance to really try the machine has we are buried in snow....I did notice that it is cold blooded and is poping on acceleration....I am new to the atv world and also to this forum and also to the brute forces....what can I expect for performance and what common problems should I keep an eye out for? and what low cost upgrades should I do first? protection first over performance would be best I guess? where would I find the best buys on skid plates? This machine was quite dirty when I bought it and has been in storage for some time and hardly ridden....so what should I clean or service? Well I am excited to put away the snosleds and get on the throttle of my BF, but I think with all the snow we are getting I will have to wait....happy trails all....

Old 02-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey MG4Hire congrats on a very good buy!!!...Used and abused ATV's around my neck of the woods are going for top dollar...Normally just a few dollars off of the New price...Your machine here would have easily sold for close to $5000.00.

You and I are in the same boat...I just bought my first ATV at 49 and like you I too had ridden other makes and actually owned one of the original John Deere 5 wheelers, but that was no ATV!! I'm a stickler on researching everything thuroughly before buying, which drives my wife crazy, but in all of my research the only problems I had found people having with the BF 650's was the cold bloodedness...My 2008 is just as cold blooded...Oh and one guy compained that if you pull a wheelie for to long it starts producing blue smoke...I don't think I have to worry about that...To get around the cold bloodedness I found that if I leave the choke on and just drive it around for a few minutes it eliminates the "popping" your experiencing...It will let you know when it's time to shut the choke off, when it starts sputtering...You should be able to buy an Owner's Manual through Kawasaki for your machine which will answer all of your questions...I'd look at mine but it's still in the box under the seat.

Congrats again and lets hope this SNOW goes away soon...I'm sick of it!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Trailblazer

Hello bville..thank you for the response...I just got off the lake snowmobiling...was snowing hard...supposed to get 12 to 16 inches....sigh....I love to ice fish and snowmobile, but my brute is calling me...I had it out one day and buried it in snow and had to use 4x4 truck to pull it out...lol...it was buried though...anyways...I think a winch is first on my list....are the gorilla winches any good? they seem to be a good price...I assume you have to buy a winch plate also....does it just fit nice in the front space or do you have to modify according to make and model of winch? I see the top end warns are expensive...well nice hearing from a guy my age...I too always do a lot of research on things I buy...but I kinda impulsively jumped at this deal...it was in Seabrook N.H.....quite a ride for my old truck, but I had to go to the Worchester sportsman's show anyways to help advertise for the lodge here were I guide from in the Spring and summer...anyways...I am rambling...sorry....happy trails....keep in touch...

Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Don't ya just hate it when it just keeps snowing...I live in the Snowbelt of NY and we are getting pounded as I type this...We've had over 300 inches of snow already and it just keeps piling it on!!!...It's been a long winter.

Back to the subject at hand...You will need a winch mounting plate, this place has them pretty cheap Outside Shopper Just refer to the application chart and I think yours is part number 7 28172 00459 5 ...$31.00 is a great price.

Now as for winches I just ordered a Warn from this place Mosquito Creek on close out for $140.00...Half Price!!!

You have fun with that ice fishing, I'll stay in where it's warm...LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

Hello there....wow..we got 16 inches and supposed to get another 10 soon...I live 5 miles out a dirt rd and on a point on a lake...the wind drifts here are ridiculous...I plowed and shoveled all day today...ugh...sore and tired....take mosqitoes over snow right about now....lol...well thank you for the tips on the winch and plate.....take care.....snowbound in Maine....