Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Shimmy n shake but no rattle and hopefully no roll...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shimmy n shake but no rattle and hopefully no roll...

I am new to the forum and the kawasaki atv....I have a 06 Brute force sra 650 with only 200 miles on it....we are buried in snow and I just got the thing and have been itching to go for a longer ride than up and down our camp road.....so I went out on the tar a short distance and went to an abandoned airport that is kept plowed....it is about 13 degrees out so I miss the handwarmers on the snosled...lol...anyways...here is my topic...reaching speeds over 50 the thing shakes so bad I felt like I would lose control.....stock tires and no damage to anything I can see....anyone else experience this or is it common and if so what type of tire should I change to after these are worn out? mind you I dont plan on riding on the tar much....there is lots and lots of mud to contend with here....

Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

how long has it been sitting? reason i ask is... is it possible one or more of your tires have low pressure and with condensation in your tires created a flat frozen spot.... that would make your quad shake like no tomorrow. check your suspension settings too if they are set all the way to max it will make the ride rougher. check your lug nuts to make sure they arent loose. there is no play in your front tires (see if you can shake them around).... just a couple things you could check right off the top of my head

Old 03-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer

I just purchased the machine in N.H.....a couple lost their jobs and needed cash...I pd. 3400.00 and know nothing other than it only had 190 miles...i have put ten miles on it...I do know it was bought has a left over and has been stored some time.....took me awhile to get the cobwebs out of it but I have never had it over 30 until today.....I will check the pressure tomorrow and yes we still are in a deep freeze so there might be flat spot frozen....the suspension is set soft and the lugs are tight....and the bearings are fine...that is first thing I checked even though it only has 200 miles on it....I never thought though that they could have had different rims n tires on it and put stock back on and maybe they are in wrong direction if they are directional tires? I will look in the morning.....thank you side winder for the tips....happy trails.....

Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer

Well sidewinder I conquered my problem with the shimmy at higher speeds...seeing how I am very mechanically inclined and pride myself in doing all my own work I am almost embarressed to tell you what it was....lol...but keep in mind I am newbie to owning a ATV...lol...well the night before I put it back in the garage...yes I have room in the garage...lol...I had been out playing in the snow and the snow turned to ice on the rim....duh me did not look at it that day I went up the road and it shimmied...lol...I was lying there trying to go to sleep and it hit me...lol...yes I scheme and build more things in my sleep then when awake...lol...anyways...it was a boneheaded thing but glad it was not nothing serious....sometimes I try to over complicate things and forget to look for the obvious...lol...probally a fault of mine and why I am divorced....lol...well take care and thanks sidewinder....hapy trails Maine