Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brand New 750 Brute Force, engine shot!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

So, I suppose if I drive my 4X4 Ford thru 4 feet of water, and anything
goes wrong, its a design flaw?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation yes

Yes,If when riding with ALOT of other 4 wheelers in the same creek,same water level (floorboard of atv) and the Kawi 750 gets ALOT of water in the airbox and the others have not

Originally Posted by REDROCKET09
So, I suppose if I drive my 4X4 Ford thru 4 feet of water, and anything
goes wrong, its a design flaw?

Old 07-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

You are missing the point. A design flaw would be as such that the vehicle/object does not function as intended.
Nowhere does Kawi make any claims that their quads can go thru
that amount of water.
My point is, it should have been at the very least an insurance claim;
not a warrantable item.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:27 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Default missing the point?

We are talking about alot of water splashing directly into the air intake splashing from the front wheels.. Kawi did put inner fender panels on the LATER models stopping the water splashing from the front wheels DIRECTLY into the intake filling the airbox/throttle body/top end of the motor. I ride with 3 750 Kawi riders and ALL 3 had to make mods to stop the water from the FACTORY design. Another rider is having totake his to the dealer hopefully for the dealer and Kawasaki to stand behind their product.....

QUOTE=delaer response to water in motor on rhino-65's '09 brute force

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone! I am the general manager of Steiger Powersports and I'm also the salesman that sold rhino-65 his '09 Brute Force that injested water thru the airbox and into his engine which destroyed the top end of his atv. rhino-65 was riding his atv thru a puddle up to the floorboards at speed which caused a substantial amount of water to be sucked into the airbox, thru his air filter, thru the throttle boddies, and into his motor. His oil was milky and his piston rings were stuck in the cylinders. What i just described is not in dispute. Rhino-65 understandably was very dissapointed when he was initially told kawasaki would not warranty the motor because in their words "customers need to drive slowly thru water that is no deeper than the floorboards. Riding at speed thru water is what caused the water to enter the intake which in turn caused the damage to the motor". If kawasaki warrantied anyone's atv that had water in the motor then everyone would be riding in water up to their handlebars because they would expect kawasaki to warranty any breakdown which could occur. The point is kawasaki was skeptical of rhino-65's claim that the puddle was not considerably deeper than the floorboards. After review, (and our pleading on the customer's behalf that kawasaki should take care of an excellent customer) Kawasaki decided to warranty all the parts to repair the engine (new cylinders, pistons, rings, etc.). They would not, however warranty any labor for the repair. The labor bill was split in half for rhino-65. We at Steiger Powersports covered half the labor cost even though we were not reimbursed by kawasaki. rhino-65 had to pay a total of $425.00 + tax. We regret that our valued customer had to pay anything out of pocket. We at Steiger's went to bat for rhino-65 as much as possible. Consumer's do need to keep in mind dealer's don't want unhappy customers. I hope rhin0-65 responds to this post to share his thoughts. Thanks for listening everyone! Stay safe. - Rod Hall G.M. Steiger Powersports

You are missing the point. A design flaw would be as such that the vehicle/object does not function as intended.
Nowhere does Kawi make any claims that their quads can go thru
that amount of water.
My point is, it should have been at the very least an insurance claim;
not a warrantable item.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Imagine that, rhino-65 has not replied. I am not surprised. His computer
must have a design flaw.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default water in brute force air box

i have an 07 750 brute. i have gotten water into the engine after a rather fast and high jump into a creek. this was the only time. it locked up, so removed both plugs, blew the water out and she started right up. i would like to see your pics of how to keep this from happening again. thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Range Rover
Default just snorkel

just snorkel the thing and even if you never go in more than a foot of water, you know you wont have a issue, submarine makes great kits

Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Too bad that any work was completed under warranty, as this likely
was the result of operator error or misjudgement, and not a design
flaw. If anything, perhaps an insurance claim. If you play, you should
be ready to pay, IMHO.
Water or dirt ingestion is obvious and is nothing short of carelessness.
You should have bought a boat.

I disagree. What part of ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE do you not understand??? lol j/k

I would agree with you if the rider drove his ATV into a deep lake or abused the ATV in some manner. However, riding an "All Terrain Vehicle" through water/mud no deeper than the floorboards is not abuse IMO. That is what the ATV was designed for...hence the name "all terrain vehicle." If you look at the owner's manual, you will probably find that it states the limit for driving through water is one-half the height of the tires (approx. the same height as the floorboard). So I see no abuse based on the above posts by the rider and dealership.

My hat goes off to this dealership for stepping up to the plate and covering the cost of 1/2 the labor cost and getting the parts warrantied. That is a fair compromise IMO. I wish the atv dealers in my area were as good at customer service as this dealership appears to be. I've always said that the warranty is only as good as the dealership. Some dealerships don't want to warranty any repairs, while others are more likely to pursue warranty items.

Happy trails...

Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MikeyBoyesq

I disagree. What part of ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE do you not understand??? lol j/k

Some dealerships don't want to warranty any repairs, while others are more likely to pursue warranty items.
Is "water" considered as terrain?

As checking for possible warranty coverage, it's always a good idea to contact anther dealership.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was thinking about pulling the covers off mine to see if it has ththose openings above the front wheels. Can anyone save me the time and tell me on a 09 750 whether I need to mod it or not. Once I can put the money up for it I'm gonna do a snorkel kit, but till then I want to make sure I am not putting water in the engine.

Quick Reply: Brand New 750 Brute Force, engine shot!