Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

08 Prairie Any Good????

Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2001 650 back in the day i miss it going to get a brute 650 this year (-=

Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

I just got a 2006 Prairie 360, and was very curious about towing and pulling.

I work on boats all the time, and am tired of using my riding lawnmower to move them around, so I traded for this 4x4. Hearing about burning belts is not encouraging! but if I put it in low and take it easy, it sounds like it should work out okay.

Thanks for all the insight!

-TH

Old 04-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by thilltony
I work on boats all the time, and am tired of using my riding lawnmower to move them around, so I traded for this 4x4. Hearing about burning belts is not encouraging! but if I put it in low and take it easy, it sounds like it should work out okay.
When towing, always use LOW gear and 4X4 for better traction.
With proper usage/care, the belt can last 100+ hours or 1000+ miles.
The belt is relatively cheap ($70 for OEM) and easy to replace (30 min or less with proper tools).

Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply, Hayashi.

Do you know about how much it costs for a dealer to replace the belt? The belt light is flashing, and there is some sound coming from under the cover when running, so I need to get it done.

I am mechanically inclined and can fix stuff, but this is my first ATV, and I'd like to start out with this one in proper shape, so I know how the bike should sound and feel when running right. That way, is something starts acting up, I will hear or feel it before it gets too bad.

Thanks!

-TH

Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer

I just called my local dealer, and they want $500 to change the belt and inspect the bike. That sounds a bit steep to me!

How much should a belt replacement be???

Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

If you are a little mechanically inclined, you can replace the belt yourself. $500 is outrageous IMO.

Watch some video's on youtube. Its a pretty simple process. Also, check out kawieriders.com as they are very familiar with kawasakis and can easily help you out with the belt light and changing your belt.

As for pulling boats. You should have no issues at all. Just stay in low gear pulling and the main thing is to not slip the belt too long. By this, I mean be deliberate getting the load rolling. Go ahead and give it a little throttle, and then once you get it rolling you can let off a little. The belt shouldnt slip once you are moving because the clutch is "engaged" at that point. When you are first getting rolling though, the clutch is trying to squeeze down on the belt to get it spinning, and this is when you can smoke the belt if you ride it out too long taking off, or if you get in some kind of bind.

For the most part though, you should be able to stick it in low and forget about it. The belts will put up with a lot more abuse than most people give them credit for.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver
If you are a little mechanically inclined, you can replace the belt yourself. $500 is outrageous IMO.

Watch some video's on youtube. Its a pretty simple process. Also, check out kawieriders.com as they are very familiar with kawasakis and can easily help you out with the belt light and changing your belt.

As for pulling boats. You should have no issues at all. Just stay in low gear pulling and the main thing is to not slip the belt too long. By this, I mean be deliberate getting the load rolling. Go ahead and give it a little throttle, and then once you get it rolling you can let off a little. The belt shouldnt slip once you are moving because the clutch is "engaged" at that point. When you are first getting rolling though, the clutch is trying to squeeze down on the belt to get it spinning, and this is when you can smoke the belt if you ride it out too long taking off, or if you get in some kind of bind.

For the most part though, you should be able to stick it in low and forget about it. The belts will put up with a lot more abuse than most people give them credit for.
Thanks for the feedback, CD! I thought that was a bit much for a belt and inspection. Actually, it was $270 for the belt, $230 for the inspection. I asked why so much for the inspection, and they said when they inspect, they open, clean and lube everything, since they are into it already. That kind of makes sense, actually, but still sounds like a lot of $$$. They are the only dealer around, and it tends to be that way out here in the rurals.

I just ordered a service manual and an oil filter. I'll do as you suggest and learn how to service this machine myself. The previous owner buried it in mud and it's caked everywhere, so I definitely need a garden hose and an air nozzle ready at all times!

Thanks again. I'll have to do a YouTube search on the belt swap.

-TH

Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I just got a 2006 Prairie 360, and was very curious about towing and pulling.

Thanks for all the insight!

-TH
It says the tow capacity is 1,100lbs.

http://www.atvreviewnetwork.com/enth...icleCode=88039

Its pretty well impossible to burn or slip a belt in low range, The 4 tires well just bury themselves before that happens.
I have changed belts with 2500 miles that still look good. Kawasaki has many issuses with the "Flashing Belt Light" and how to to reset it.
Its a feature they should of left out.
http://www.nyrocatv.com/techtip.cgi?viewtopic=151
and

Old 04-27-2013, 05:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I just called my local dealer, and they want $500 to change the belt and inspect the bike. That sounds a bit steep to me!

How much should a belt replacement be???
LOL ,Do not do that!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the feedback, CD! I thought that was a bit much for a belt and inspection. Actually, it was $270 for the belt, $230 for the inspection. I asked why so much for the inspection, and they said when they inspect, they open, clean and lube everything, since they are into it already. That kind of makes sense, actually, but still sounds like a lot of $$$. They are the only dealer around, and it tends to be that way out here in the rurals.

I just ordered a service manual and an oil filter. I'll do as you suggest and learn how to service this machine myself. The previous owner buried it in mud and it's caked everywhere, so I definitely need a garden hose and an air nozzle ready at all times!

Thanks again. I'll have to do a YouTube search on the belt swap.

-TH

Yeah you can save yourself a lot of money doing it yourself and its really not that hard to do. Plus, it may not even need a belt since the light just seems to come on almost randomly.

If I were you I would fix the belt light, change all the fluids (which shouldnt cost more than $30-50 for all the oil and filter), change the air filter if it needs it, and check for any worn out CV boots or bearings anywhere. Then ride it a little and if it seems to be functioning correctly then I wouldnt worry about the belt.

I just rebuilt my Grizzly 600 because I bought it blown up. I serviced the clutch and cleaned the sheaves(pulleys) of the belt drive system. I have no idea how old the belt is but it is working flawlessly so I am just going to run it until it has problems. So far so good. We went riding 2 weekends ago and spent probably over 6 hours of actual riding time with no issues. I used to be pretty leary of these belt drive ATV's, but now with all these side by sides weighing over 1000 pounds and making 80-100hp running basically the same CVT setup as the thousands of ATV's they sell each year, I feel pretty confident that the CVT system is actually an excellent and very reliable setup. I always liked the 360 prarie for its features. Full size frame, diff lock, low range, selectable 4wd, wet brake in the rear and discs up front. I wish my grizzly had that rear brake setup and diff lock. But you cant have it all. lol Just do the general maintenance items on your prarie and keep it washed and serviced and it will last you many many years.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Prairie Any Good????