Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

08 Prairie Any Good????

Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 Prairie Any Good????

Is an 08 Prairie 4X4 any good for moderate trail riding? The local dealer has one for $3800.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Range Rover

OK I'll take the lack of replies as a no.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 02 650 Prairie and it has been a excellent ATV with no issues since day one,I don't care for the solid rear axle on mine,I'm more partial to my Sportsman 500 for the fact it has independent suspension and I ride in some rough areas I will not take the Prairie but as far as trail riding and being dependable it's a good atv,oh they are quick to!!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply 79hugger, it's the Prairie 360. After reading a couple of good reviews on the internet last night and seeing the NADA book value I picked it up.

It's my first ATV it looked like a good one. I bought a ch(inese)eep 110 for my son for his b-day about a month ago; he's 8. I had to get something I could ride. We live in Southern MD; we've got relatives in North East PA and South Central KY so we'll be taking them with us when we visit.

I'm figure because of limitations of his we'll be doing some easy trail riding for the next couple of years and when he's ready to move up to the next size we'll get into the real fun stuff.

In the mean time I'm thinking of getting some attachments so I can do some yard work this old back doesn't work a shovel like it use to. Has any one put a front end loader or a snow plow on one of these? I'm looking at the stuff made by Concord Equipment. Paticularly their front end loader and disks.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Post 08' Prairie Any Good????

Originally Posted by nimadd
Is an 08 Prairie 4X4 any good for moderate trail riding? The local dealer has one for $3800.
Going by the price of new and used quads are selling here in North Ga. it sound's like a good deal to me !

williebee.........

Old 11-22-2009, 04:52 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply williebee. BTW I think I forgot to add in that the thing was brand new.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Has any one put a front end loader or a snow plow on one of these? I'm looking at the stuff made by Concord Equipment. Paticularly their front end loader and disks.
You must realize that your P360 has a CVT belt as for its trnasmission. What it means is that whenever you are doing a heavy work (like when using one of above attachments you mentioned above or pulling a trailer, etc.), you need to use LO gear in order to prolong the belt life. Also, learn what to do when the BELT light starts to flash. Do a search and you will find out.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the advise Hayashi. The dealer I bought it from was pretty through in their walk through. He explained how all of the controls worked, the different flashing signals from the 4WD light, how deep I can take it in water and how to drain and dry the belt, air box and muffler if I get swamp it.

He also warned me about pulling heavy loads so just how sensitive is the belt to heavy loads. I figure I'll be using it around the house pulling a small yard cart 5'X4'X4' filled with anything from firewood to leaves. I plan on getting the front end loader for Christmas (the capacity of the loader is 300 lbs). This spring I'm getting a dump truck load of gravel to re-do the driveway (driveway's about 30'X80'), next year I going to put up a 20'X20' shed on a gravel pad (another dump truck load of gravel). Is this too much, is it just the belt I need to be careful with???

Old 11-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Is this too much, is it just the belt I need to be careful with???
Can't asnwer if that's too much or not. You will just have to use common sense in every case. Here is an example:
> When towing something, if you quad would not budge at all even in LO gear. Stop it right there. Not only it would burn and destroy the belt. If you keep giving gas, the hot belt will eat through the aluminum converter sheaves (pulleys). So, instead of just $60 belt, now you would be faced with $600 part converter PLUS the stealership's labor if you would let them do the job.

I recommend following as well:
> Use Synthetic engine oil, 10W-30 Mobil 1 is OK (even though O/M says 10W-40). Replace orignial oil ASAP.
> Use the same Syn 10W-30 in front gear box. Slightly tilt the quad to its left side when filling, so you are slightly overfilling it. Replace original oil ASAP.
> Rear gear case uses wet brake oil. Changing is not as important as engine oil as long as you didn't ride the quad with parking brake on.
> Your engine is air-cooled with an aux oil cooler on the front. Don't overheat it. Shut off the engine if you would be not moving for a long period of time. Not moving means ZERO cooling of your engine.
> Install a winch - one of the most helpful add-on devices on quad.
> Take care of your quad and it will take care of you.

Just remember what causes "most" of the quad problems.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Range Rover

I just read my thread from the begining and realized what I was describing in my last post isn't moderate trail riding. I guess It's easy to get carried away with a new toy. It's good to at least have an idea of what to feel for and what can happen if you push the machine too far. Thanks again Hayashi your advise is much appreciated. It sounds like you work on these things day in and day out. Do you???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 08 Prairie Any Good????