Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

broken belt, clutch face - 650i BF - help??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool broken belt, clutch face - 650i BF - help??

OK, broke my belt on my 650i Brute Force. It was violent and shattered the top of the plastic belt housing. I also have small fine grooves in the clutch face on the inside, closest to the motor. They are small enough I can knock down with emery cloth.

My brother in law is assiting me and beleives that there is a warp on the outside face. I do not feel that one. It does tapper in toward the shaft, but I believe that this is factory.

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?
Please help....

Thanks! Jamakn

Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

2006 Brute force 650i if that matters

Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Red face

dealer suggests cutting it down with emery and giving a polished shine to it. Since its got some age, its probably normal wear.

heads up though, if you blow the cover, its about $130 and change and the switch mounted to said cover...almost $300 beans... ouch!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jamakn
OK, broke my belt on my 650i Brute Force. It was violent and shattered the top of the plastic belt housing. I also have small fine grooves in the clutch face on the inside, closest to the motor. They are small enough I can knock down with emery cloth.

My brother in law is assiting me and beleives that there is a warp on the outside face. I do not feel that one. It does tapper in toward the shaft, but I believe that this is factory.

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas?
Please help....

Thanks! Jamakn
The taper on the clutches is factory ,if it did not have a taper the belt would not travel up in the drive clutch or down in the driven clutch.Just clean them up and put on a new belt. The drive clutch and belt will wear If you drive around at low speeds in high gear.I use low gear when traveling up to 20 mph or so or towing good luck. Plus it has massive torque in low range .Oh ya sucks that you have to buy a new belt cover.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by OGGYDOGGY
The drive clutch and belt will wear If you drive around at low speeds in high gear.
The belt will wear excessively or even burn/break if high gear is used for high load condition such as towing, pulling, mudding, steep hill, trying to free out of stuck condition, etc. The amount of load on the egine is the factor, not the speed, on the belt wear. Use the Low Gear for High Load condition.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jamakn
dealer suggests cutting it down with emery and giving a polished shine to it. Since its got some age, its probably normal wear.

heads up though, if you blow the cover, its about $130 and change and the switch mounted to said cover...almost $300 beans... ouch!
Hey,

The same thing has happened to me . . . Blew a hole in the side of the cover big enough to put my fist through. Have recieved me new cover, just haven't gotten around to putting it on. One Q though, why didn't you just use the switch that was on the old cover? did your belt ruin it or something???