Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

1991 Bayou KLF300B-won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1991 Bayou KLF300B-won't start

Hi, I got a KLF300B, from a friend. By looking at explanations of vin's in a Clymer repair manual- I'm guessing a 1991 by the vin on engine, frame vin is not legible to read.

Her teenage son did what he and I thought quads are for: running thru mud, puddles, etc. He said it was a big mud and Bayou got really down in it and stuck. It quit running and once it was pulled out of mud, it would not start, and hasn't started since that time. He said he drained the oil and muddy water came out as well. (its been sitting in garage for several months.) Any suggestions on fixing it? Where to start? or is the motor ruined and need to be replaced? I have a service/repair manual, but it does not address the engine at all.

Also do you know where I can download a diagram of the motor and how it is mounted/connected, etc to see how easy or hard it would be to pull motor?

Thank you so much for any and all suggestions, opinions, etc.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

Do you have a factory manual or aftermarket. The factory manual should show engine diagram.

If mud water was inside the engine for several months, it's not worth fixing. You will be spending more $$ than buying an used same/similar year KLF300 that is already running.

If you still want to fix this beast, the very first thing to do is to perform leak down test to see how tight the engine is holding.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

i would firstly check to see if the engine still turns over freely by hand on the pull cord (remove the spark plug before hand). If so then i hasn't seized but could of hydraulic locked. If you have been trying to start it several attempts with the engine full of water there is a good chance that u could of done some engine damage. If the quad is road registered it may be worth buying a second hand quad with a good engine and swapping engines over. (takes about 1 hour to remove engine). If not it might be worth selling spares or repairs.
If the engine turns over by hand i would try and clean all intake pipes out, remove cylinder head and clean inside enigne and try get it to run. Also replace with new engine oil. But is a bit of a famble if you ask me.