Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

A A buzz and rattle in My Kawasaki Prairie

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A A buzz and rattle in My Kawasaki Prairie

On DEc. 1 I bought a 08 Kawasaki Prairie for my 15 year old for christmas. Road it and nothing seemed wrong at the dealers. When we got home and unloaded it off the trailor it started buzzing on the right side of atv down by your foot. It would only do this when you turned the key on, or after you turned the key off. It would buzz 4 to 6 secs. Then make a rattle noise for a couple secs.. I do not know a thing about atv's. This is are first. Please any info will be appreciated . thank you.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the KAPS servo motor, it adjusts belt deflection automatically, until the wear sensor is tripped, it cycles every time you turn it on, kind of a test sequence, it is by your right foot under the belt cover, sounds like it is working !!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 with above- it's normal.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank ya im sure that is what going on. Got a lot to learn about atv's.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

To be more precise, it is sound of the 12-VDC electric servo motor of Engine Brake Control (EBC) trying to position itself to home position. When it finishes homing itself, it shuts off. The EBC has a teflon tipped arm that pushes on the center bearing of the drive converter, and it has to maintain certain gap between when not activated. That certain gap is the home position, and it is calculated by the potentiometer inside the EBC motor housing and the info is sent/signaled to the Controller (smaller black box, the bigger one is ECU/igniter) under the seat.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks alot. I wasnt worried about the buzz as much as I was the clicking or clacking after the buzz . Sounded (not so good) is the clacking after the buzz normal.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest..years back when I was looking at new quads...that was one of the things that turned my off of Kawasaki.....I heard that noise under the belt cover and thought "man, that dont sound right, why does that have to happen every power cycle?" It just seemed a bit too complicated to me back then, it was when Kawasaki was just putting out the new belt drive quads, and I wasn't quite sold on a belt drive quad at the time. Years down the road, I ended up buying a belt quad, my "new" 08 Grizzly 700 I picked up this spring.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wolv
To be honest..years back when I was looking at new quads...that was one of the things that turned my off of Kawasaki.....I heard that noise under the belt cover and thought "man, that dont sound right, why does that have to happen every power cycle?" It just seemed a bit too complicated to me back then, it was when Kawasaki was just putting out the new belt drive quads, and I wasn't quite sold on a belt drive quad at the time. Years down the road, I ended up buying a belt quad, my "new" 08 Grizzly 700 I picked up this spring.
so many things I hated about my 05 & 06 brute force 750's
the sounds freaked me out at first also- plus the annoying toggle trip under the cvt housing which everyone would drill out and mount on the top, the jumper reset under the seat to clear the "limp home mode" which never worked right. It would always ingest water into the airbox, the super annoying locking diff lever you'd have to hold in while riding the mis-matched carb jets from the factory (recall on that) and the hard foam seat felt cheap- like a chinese atv seat.
Aside from the bottom end torque- I hated those brute's the more I think about it.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks fellows yall answered my questions to a T. I really appreciate it. I feel alot better about my purchase now. These thing are alot more advanced since the Big Red I had as a kid. I believe this prairie is going to be just right for checking my cows and my son to ride with his friends. Again THANKS.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Before everyone leaves this post I have one more Ques. What is the overide button for. Now im pretty good at figuring stuff out and I do all my mechanic work on my tracter and vehicles , but i have know ideal what this is for. Guess I need to order a owners manual.

Quick Reply: A A buzz and rattle in My Kawasaki Prairie