Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kaw little brut 300 ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kaw little brut 300 ?'s

New to the site and the quad world .
The mrs and I are ready to get into the quad world , so we need some answers
This little 300 looks to be the ticket to our beginning of the fun. At 1st I was interested in a sport model and a sport ute for the mrs . I was in the mine set of having gears to play with and more of the racy look and feel.

But when really looking at what we will be doing on them and reading up on this 300 I been rethinking things . We plan on using them for playing around the house in the fields and pocket woods ..suburbs area , but plan on taking trips up north camping and trail riding too .
Were in our mid 40's , im 140# and she is 230# . We love our sleds and like to wick it up on them from time to time .
... how fast is top end ? I know 40 on a quad is going to feel way more then 40 on a sled . We average 40-50mph on our sleds in the trails.. when it allows us to ... not looking for the same performance since sleds and quads are like apples to oranges , but don't want to buy something way under powered ether.
Quads being a shorter foot print I think that fast will be plenty for us .
One thing that comes to mind is... can these be clutched ? are they adjustable like the CVT's on a sled ? ,reviews say they are pretty good in mid range for power... just wondering if you can tweak them for more pull to give them a more zippy feel if needed .

Dollar for dollar these little guys look to be the best bang for the buck for us to get into the sport . With all the little features the 300 gives vs's a sport model maybe I can do without the gears and fast looks and just tweak the 300 and have all the bells and whistles too

Thanks for any info
Rick

Old 01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

We bought two new little Brutes for around the farm and trail riding and I have to say that I'm impressed with them so far. They seem to be very well built, are baby butt smooth to operate and have taken my 220 pounds every where I've pointed them with ease. I did a lot of research before buying them and they are the best bang for the buck in my opinion, that said, my main ride is a 2011 sportsman 500HO and it handles all the heavy work.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kawa...rce-300-a.html

Old 01-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

the biggest question is how much power u need im sure it will do around 50. i know it will do everything well. but the shocks are the question for long hrs of riding!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CVT looks similar to a sled's, but looking at the parts fiche the primary looks like it may operate a little differently. I didn't see a spring but maybe I missed it.

I know my 2000 Prairie 400 is like my arctic cat sled and the clutches are tuneable, not that I ever do. It is too hard to remove the cover on the 400 so I've only done it a handful of times. When I ride in the mtns I leave the sea level weights in and it does ok.

A note here - I also have a Honda sport 250 ex with semi-automatic tranny and that thing, racing up a mtn road anyhow, is neck in neck with the 400. They were both jetted for mtns but no change in clutch weights on the 400.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MrSummit
The CVT looks similar to a sled's, but looking at the parts fiche the primary looks like it may operate a little differently. I didn't see a spring but maybe I missed it.

I know my 2000 Prairie 400 is like my arctic cat sled and the clutches are tuneable, not that I ever do. It is too hard to remove the cover on the 400 so I've only done it a handful of times. When I ride in the mtns I leave the sea level weights in and it does ok.

A note here - I also have a Honda sport 250 ex with semi-automatic tranny and that thing, racing up a mtn road anyhow, is neck in neck with the 400. They were both jetted for mtns but no change in clutch weights on the 400.
I stopped by our dealer to bend his ear a bit about them . He said they are a bit different , it's a centrifugal set up.. he put it like this .. a little of both He said they really haven't been out long enough yet for him (dealers) to get much feedback about them yet , so it's a mystery till people start tearing into them .

Im sure there's some tuning in there, most builds are set to a average leaving some tweaking one way or another

We started by looking at the Honda's , Recon and a TRX till we seen the 300 brute .
The more we talk these will be the one's . Wife is already talking trips to actually ride and pitch camp in the sticks over night with them .... we are going to need those racks!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Trailblazer

John, what kind of range on fuel are you getting on these ... just wondering
rick

Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Need2ride
John, what kind of range on fuel are you getting on these ... just wondering
rick

Well, I haven't tracked it that closely yet, but we did get out a couple of weekends ago, when it was nice out and we put 25 miles on one of them; according to the gas gauge, it used a quarter of a tank. But you know how gas gauges go on atv's, so it's just a guess; that said, it looks like it should be able to go 50-70 miles on a tank of gas.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

That's good to hear ,50-70 is good for 3.5 gal.
I know what you mean on those gauges... We have bubble gauges on our sleds and they don't work. 10 gal tanks on them and we get 90-120 mi per tank depending on the type of riding were doing . Always set the trips to keep us aware as reference. On the sleds the tank is under the whole length of the seat and with it being so long it sloshes to one end or the other and makes the float stick. We call it our factory compass ...always going east !

We were wondering about range on these for trips we were thinking of this summer . With that kinda range we can jump from town to town just like on sleds

Have you notice any down falls to this unit now that you have had them for a while ?

thanks
rick

Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Range Rover

So far they purr like kittens, but we've only had them for two months. My father, who is 69 years old, has adopted one of them; he has already put a windshield and rear view mirrors on it and I have to say, it looks damned nice and he's tickled with it.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by john luttrell
So far they purr like kittens, but we've only had them for two months. My father, who is 69 years old, has adopted one of them; he has already put a windshield and rear view mirrors on it and I have to say, it looks damned nice and he's tickled with it.

That is cool, My dad(68) has a explorer 400 4x4 but hasn't been riding it much . Im hoping when we get ours he will start wanting to ride again .
We use to go dirt bike riding 25 yrs ago.
Toss up a few pic's when you can .... what colors did you get ?

Quick Reply: Kaw little brut 300 ?'s