Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Help !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help !!!!!

Can someone tell me where i can get some advice on how to remove my drive shaft from the shaft that comes from the transmission! It looks like one slides onto the other somehow. I know that the both of them are grooved. What i don't know is how they come apart...lol. Are their any kind of vids for this or links, or techs to talk with! I'm going nuts trying to take this stupid thing apart. Any advice would certainly be appreciated

Old 04-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

ANy details on your model and year? It could help ;-)

Old 04-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Bob Hosie
Can someone tell me where i can get some advice on how to remove my drive shaft from the shaft that comes from the transmission! It looks like one slides onto the other somehow. I know that the both of them are grooved. What i don't know is how they come apart...lol. Are their any kind of vids for this or links, or techs to talk with! I'm going nuts trying to take this stupid thing apart. Any advice would certainly be appreciated
Oh, i forgot...it's a 2004 Kawasaki 700 prairie 4x4 kvf, vtwin

Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Bob Hosie
Oh, i forgot...it's a 2004 Kawasaki 700 prairie 4x4 kvf, vtwin
Bob,

If it is the front shaft you are trying to remove, it is the same as the one on my 2000 KVF400 4x4. I had to remove it three months ago.

The shaft is composed of two sections coupled together by a cylinder that goes over. To remove it, you need to take out the snap ring that is preventing the cylinder to move and then slide the cylinder toward the engine. This will allow decouple the two shafts. Be aware, there is a small spring keeping the pressure between the two shaft parts. Don't loose it!

Here is a diagram of the two part shaft where you can see the clip (481) that is preventing the cylinder (42034) to move. http://partstream.arinet.com/Image?a...Fari-main.html

Good luck!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

Not knowing if we are talking about the front or rear doesn't help, but I'm betting your talking about the front since they seem to be tricky.
On this bike there isn't any kind of clip that holds the shaft in place on the front. Simply remove all the bolts from the front diff and wiggle it out. The shaft should fall right out but it is a bit tricky like it doesn't seem to have enough room to get out. (it hits the front frame) You have to remove the cross member that bolts across the front to give it enough room to slide forward.

As for the back shaft, I have never had to completely remove the rear shaft, but it should just slip out too. I changed the rear swingarm bearing, but left the drive shaft hooked to the tranny and just slipped it all back together. There is a spring on the backside of the shaft down near the rear chunk that you need to make sure stays in place. (Its a huge PAIN in the A$$ to get it all lined up at the same time)

Here is a link to a diagram that might help OEM Parts and OEM Motorcycle Parts for Dirt Bikes, ATVs and UTVs | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
The front one is called front drive shaft propeller and the rear is of course rear drive shaft.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by PRAIRIEOUTLAW
Not knowing if we are talking about the front or rear doesn't help, but I'm betting your talking about the front since they seem to be tricky.
On this bike there isn't any kind of clip that holds the shaft in place on the front. Simply remove all the bolts from the front diff and wiggle it out. The shaft should fall right out but it is a bit tricky like it doesn't seem to have enough room to get out. (it hits the front frame) You have to remove the cross member that bolts across the front to give it enough room to slide forward.

As for the back shaft, I have never had to completely remove the rear shaft, but it should just slip out too. I changed the rear swingarm bearing, but left the drive shaft hooked to the tranny and just slipped it all back together. There is a spring on the backside of the shaft down near the rear chunk that you need to make sure stays in place. (Its a huge PAIN in the A$$ to get it all lined up at the same time)

Here is a link to a diagram that might help OEM Parts and OEM Motorcycle Parts for Dirt Bikes, ATVs and UTVs | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
The front one is called front drive shaft propeller and the rear is of course rear drive shaft.
thank you for responding...and yes it is my rear shaft, as i'm also replacing my swing bearings!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you for the help

Old 05-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by MartinATV1701
Bob,

If it is the front shaft you are trying to remove, it is the same as the one on my 2000 KVF400 4x4. I had to remove it three months ago.

The shaft is composed of two sections coupled together by a cylinder that goes over. To remove it, you need to take out the snap ring that is preventing the cylinder to move and then slide the cylinder toward the engine. This will allow decouple the two shafts. Be aware, there is a small spring keeping the pressure between the two shaft parts. Don't loose it!

Here is a diagram of the two part shaft where you can see the clip (481) that is preventing the cylinder (42034) to move. http://partstream.arinet.com/Image?a...Fari-main.html

Good luck!
thank you