Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2000 kodiak 400 4x4 ultramatic is 4x4 really 4x4 or just 3x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 kodiak 400 4x4 ultramatic is 4x4 really 4x4 or just 3x4

Hey guys this may be a stupid question but i'm tired as hell and sore after yesterday **** show with my atv .My Son and I were out on the atv's he had his little bike following me . One spot in the trail ya gotta kinda hug the hill side ,there was roots and stumps everwhere and wet and slippers .Back of my bike kicked out and overI want bike and all 2 times and got pinned under the bike . SOoo Sooo happy my 9 year old was with me and followed direction perfect to get the winch out ,tie around the tree and pull the bike off me .. so lucky he really came through for me .. Ok now to get to my question . got the bike up and going again .was not going fast when the bike rolled so does not seem to be damage other then the kill switch bracket and such needs to be tightened up... got it going after given it a little time for oil and gas to settle .. one the way back home ... frigging narrow bridge (wood) mud on tires and wet ,, back end spilled off the bridge ..(insert a few choice words right here) ok another 2 hours to lift the bike up over the lip and straighten it out on the kiss me **** little bridge .. OK THE QUESTION IS WHEN STUCK THE BIKE WAS IN 4X4 ONLY 3 TIRES WOULD SPIN THE TWO BACK AND THE FRONT LEFT SIDE ,, THE RIGHT WAS JAMMED IN THE MUD AND NOT SPINNING THERE IS NO DIFF LOCK ON THE BIKE , I NEVER REALLY LOOKED BUT I HOPE I DID NOT BRAKE AN AXLE ON THAT SIDE ..I'M GUESSING JUST WITH NO DIFF LOCK AND THE TIRE JAMMED THE POWER WAS SENT TO THE OTHER SIDE /TIRE THAT HAD LESS RESTRICTION CORRECT????? THEREFOR WHEN SOMEONE SAYS MY BIKE IS 4X4 NO REALLY IT'S ONLY 3X4 CORRECT UNLESS YA GOT A LOCKING DIFF ............will look at the bike when i fell better ,,pretty hard to move today . but once i got the bike out again and off to home i put the bike in 4x4 and she drove ok seemed to pull up the hills ok where 2x2 would not cut it .. email tcboudreau@ns.sympatico.ca with any info in 4x4 can 3 wheels spin and one be stuck in the front without spinning

Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

I've looked up some stuff on the web and it seems to be pretty normal for limited slip front differentials. Seems like most of the time it's 3x4 at best. A lot of conditions for all for tires to spin: Both rear tires grabbing, both front tires grabbing and etc. One wheel off and 3x4 here you come.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 2000 kodiak 400 4x4 ultramatic has no front diff lock feature so its a 3wd, like all limited slip front ends.
AWD is nice sometimes.
Here is a video of a guy who ties his first two attempts in regular 4x4 (3wd) then he put in in diff lock and is out of there.