Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

'07 Prairie 360 electric start issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 Prairie 360 electric start issues

Hi, I've got a 2007 prairie KVF360B, and it will only start with the pull start, and only with a mighty yank at that. The electric start will turn the engine over, but no matter how long you hold it or how much gas you give it the thing just won't start.

I've read a couple threads that described valve clearance issues possibly giving these symptoms, but I'm not sure. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be valve clearance,but check the battery first.Battery may show good but fail a load test. Machines can pull start,but on electric start battery may not have enough umph to it. Here's a good section on this.https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html

Old 03-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's certainly easy enough to check for valve clearance, but to me it doesn't seem to match your symptoms. (If someone has a theory on this they'd like to share, I'm interested).

I would tend to agree with OPT and check the battery. Since the Prairie's style of ignition gets its spark from the battery, it would make sense that you are getting a stronger spark when pull starting because you aren't using part of the battery to turn the starter. A healthy battery can handle both, but a weak battery (in terms of amp capacity, not voltage) could cause these symptoms.

A battery can be weak because it's just old, or because the charging coil isn't keeping up, or dirty terminals.

Also, you shouldn't have to give it gas to start it. Choke if it's anything but hot (95F+) outside, but that's it.