Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute Force 750 or Outlander 800R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked it up. For sure it's been rode pretty hard. The I joint is really shot so I couldn't really drive it more than just baby it to load it up. The brakes are shot and because of that it did not like shifting into gear. It's got a lot of high dollar parts on it so worst case scenario I could probably part it out and make my money back. I'll find out more tomorrow after the dealer looks at it to find out if I am hosed or not.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needing brake pads does not surprise. Even the Can Am literature mentions the punishing environment for the brakes, mainly muddy water and the like. And brake pads are not that expensive.

Hopefully the U joint bearings is the only failure in the drive shaft. If the previous owner ran it that way very long, it will ruin the yoke bearing bores. But a new drive shaft ain't the end of the world.

Let us know what the assessment ends up being. And wishing the best outcome.

David

Old 03-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

Thanks David. I'll know tomorrow after the dealer looks it over. It was certainly not taken care of the way I would choose to take care of it. I just hope what is broke can be fixed within my budget and there's nothing catastrophic hiding. I hope to enjoy this quad after it's fixed and not have to worry about parting it out and hoping I break even.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Range Rover

Heard back from the dealer today. The brakes are shot and a brake line had a leak. The whole driveshaft assembly needs replaced but that's about it. I am having them check the valves and fix a few other small miscellaneous items. Total bill is gonna be about $800. I am overall pretty happy considering I'll have $5700 wrapped up in a $9000 quad!

Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Back Country Explorer

Yea, clap, clap, clap!

So glad to hear the patient isn't terminal. I have a feeling this Can Am has found a good home and you will make to like new again. And you're doing it on an very attractive budget. Don't be thinking "fix and flip" on us now.

David

Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by dbj216
Yea, clap, clap, clap!

So glad to hear the patient isn't terminal. I have a feeling this Can Am has found a good home and you will make to like new again. And you're doing it on an very attractive budget. Don't be thinking "fix and flip" on us now.

David
No way would I flip it. I first drove a Can Am Outlander 1000 two years ago. I fell in love with it instantly. The dealer was even gonna cut me a killer deal on it but even then it was way above and beyond my price range. Even the used market showed nothing but twice my budget. I eventually gave up on owning one and looked elsewhere. This is what lead me down the track of getting a Kawasaki Brute Force 750. They had less power but were in my price range and I did like them also. But then I found this quad on Craigslist and I could not pass up the chance to own what I really wanted. The only way I would part it out is if the news from the dealer today was that the quad was ready to have or had already had catastrophic failure and that repairs would be more than I spent on the quad. Then I would have parted it out.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its nice to know its a not a dud after all. It is a gamble buying used off craigslist sometimes. Usually a really low price is a red flag too. Locally, people put fake ads on there all the time. Its probably something done nationwide on craigslist I'm sure. I think a lot of people are trying to spam people or even worse, steal personal info. They"ll put something on there that looks like new and be asking like $2500 for something that would normally cost $7000. I used to flag all those ads but I finally just got tired of it. They would just reappear the next day.
Myself, I think the Brute might be the last atv I will own for a while. I'm considering upgrading to a utv next. A lot of my friends have them, seems what most of them are going to. They like how you can get a 4 seat model and haul the whole family on one machine. A bit more comfortable and relaxed riding experience. They're even more expensive than used atvs though, that's why I haven't got one yet. And I think I would miss the experience you get riding a quad. But mostly, its just I don't want to shell out the money for a nice used utv lol.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Good deal. Sounds like you're in good shape too me.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Range Rover

Thanks guys. Yeah it was a gamble I took for sure and it easily could have gone bad. I also see lots of scams on Craigslist and thought for a while this might have been one also, but I think the gamble paid off for me and I'll have a good quad here that will give me lots of enjoyment!

I also see a side by side down the road in my future someday when I can afford one. They look like a ton of fun and it would be really nice to take the family out in one, but the cost is what is keeping in a bit away in my future for now.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

One of my good friends has a 2014 850 Max with over 16,000 miles on it.

Yes its been in for a few repairs but nothing I would consider "major".

I'm pretty sure when he wears it out he'll get another one just like it.

Quick Reply: Brute Force 750 or Outlander 800R?