Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki KFX90 low oil - possibly dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Kawasaki KFX90 low oil - possibly dead?

2008 Kawasaki KFX90 - My understanding it is the same as a Kymco Mongoose.

So my son came to me yesterday to tell me that his four wheeler died and wont crank back. I tried it and seemed as if the battery was dead. Charged it up and tried again. Starter clicks but wont turn over the motor. Tried the kick start, could not get it to move either. Removed the kick starter and cover, turned the motor manually, very hard to turn. Verified oil levels, really low. (Yeah I know, didn't check it as often as I should) Added oil and turned the motor manually again, forward and backwards. As this got easier I tried it again with the starter. Now the starter will try and turn the motor but not fast enough to get it to crank.
Question is, what do I do next? Do I need to tear down and rebuild the motor or is it trash? If it can be rebuilt are there any good resources out there for these four-wheelers?
Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 06-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So today I found out I have toasted the starter, new one on the way. Also the shaft for the kick starter is bent, new on on the way.
Got the engine to run via using a drill to turn it over, but have no power not even enough to turn over the rear wheels when lifted off of the ground. Also the motor is making much more noise then before. Im thinking its because I have the starter removed but could be something else that came apart inside the motor. Suspect low/no compression but have not had a chance to do a compression test yet. What should the compression be on this quad? However I removed the plug and it is covered in oil.
I have a video of it running, but no sure if I can attach it to this thread?
Any idea where I should go from here, if it needs a top end rebuild, low end, or go through the entire motor?

Last edited by Craig Ladd; 06-13-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 06-15-2017, 02:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Take the top end off, if the piston has broken up, you will have to split the cases to get all the broken bits out. Otherwise, grip the con rod and see if there is any up, down, movement in the big end bearing. If that is OK, spin the crank, while keeping the cam chain tight, to check it moves freely. Rebuild the top end and hope there isn't another problem when you start it.