Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

'03 Kawasaki Bayou 250 starting and running problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Kawasaki Bayou 250 starting and running problem

I have an '03 bayou 250 that has given me some problems lately, it started off with whenever i would crank it up, it would grind and slip and has problems cranking, now the engine won't run right. It would run with a little bit of power loss and bogging when given lots of throttle. Now when it runs its sounds like it is misfiring and will only run on full choke, and your thumb has to be mashing the throttle at least halfway. When you floor it, it sounds very rough, smokes and bogs down a lot. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I think you have two faults, a slipping starter clutch, or worn starter gears, and dirt in the carburettor. It may be worth fitting a new plug just to be sure that isn't the running problem, but if that doesn't cure it, remove the float bowl and clean it out, remove the jets, blow them out with compressed air and check you can see through them. Blow through the holes in the carb body the jets came out of. Rebuilding the starter clutch is a lot more difficult, expensive and time consuming.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks @merryman, i will take a look at the carb, plug, and starter clutch, thanks for the help!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found out what the problem was, the starter problem was caused by a worn out bendix, and the engine problem was cause by a worn out timing chain. Got boh problems fixed.👍🏼