Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX 50 Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX 50 Hard Starting

2007 KFX 50
Hard starting when cold. So I crank this bike and it may start but shortly dies after a few minutes and then will take forever to re-start. Once restarted the bike sometimes will die with any press of the throttle, but sometimes I can get it to idle and run correctly if I lift the back up and stab the throttle, ride it around and it will work for the rest of the day. Yesterday it fired right up, idled, died and then would not re-start so I gave up. So the first thing is to clean the carb as it may be dirty in there. Got a carb kit on the way. I’m like the second owner of this and I don’t think the first owner rode it often and it was doing this basically since the day I bought it off him.
The bigger question is the auto choke or Jet Starter or auto bystarter, I have seen various name for the auto choke. The Kawasaki part is labeled as Jet Starter but the repair manual calls it an auto bystarter. The question is, could this be bad, I found a test procedure and have not done it yet. If it is bad, will any one of them work say on E-bay or for a Honda? They all look the same I think. The Kawasaki original I can get for around $70-$80 plus shipping. The e-bay/Honda ones I can get for like $5 - $10 each.
I just figured I would ask in case someone knew the answer before I tore into it.
For anyone else that comes across this,
Test One
The ohms of resistance is 5 ohms, at a minimum of 10 minutes after stopping the engine. If over 5 ohms then it needs to be replaced.
Test Two
After the engine is stopped for 30 minutes, connect a hose to the fuel enriching circuit and blow the hose with a blowing tool. If air cannot be blown into the hose (clogged) the auto bystarter is faulty.
Test Three
Connect the auto bystarter yellow wire to the positive of the battery and the green/black to the negative. Wait 5 minutes. Connect hose to the fuel enriching circuit and blow the hose with a blowing tool. If air can be blown into the hose, then auto bystarter if faulty.