Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prarie 650 Neutral and Reverse lights switched

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prarie 650 Neutral and Reverse lights switched

I've got a Prairie 650 that I recently purchased. It's in good shape and runs great except for one issue. In neutral the reverse light is on and the override keeps it from revving too high, and in reverse the neutral light comes on and it has no limiter. In neutral you can use the reverse override to rev it so the button operates properly. The machine operates fine so I don't even really mind it, but I'm sure it's probably as simple as switching two wires so I'd like to fix it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where these wires are located? I don't have a shop manual and haven't really had time to just sit with the quad and go over it with a fine tooth comb to search it out.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:32 AM
Rwhendershot
Default Reverse the lamps

Originally Posted by Grant2k
I've got a Prairie 650 that I recently purchased. It's in good shape and runs great except for one issue. In neutral the reverse light is on and the override keeps it from revving too high, and in reverse the neutral light comes on and it has no limiter. In neutral you can use the reverse override to rev it so the button operates properly. The machine operates fine so I don't even really mind it, but I'm sure it's probably as simple as switching two wires so I'd like to fix it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where these wires are located? I don't have a shop manual and haven't really had time to just sit with the quad and go over it with a fine tooth comb to search it out.
Someone while replacing the bulbs in the dash area has just put the bulbs in the wrong spot.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Roy Hendershot
Someone while replacing the bulbs in the dash area has just put the bulbs in the wrong spot.
That was what I originally thought but the dash is a modern sealed type, it's not like an old quad with a few bulbs pressed into a piece of plastic. The dash unit is a computer module with one plug that goes into the back. It's getting its signals from somewhere else.

Anyway I was able to get it solved with help from Kawieriders.com. There are 2 single wire connectors down around the water pump and they were switched. I am doing some other maintenance so I had some plastics off already which made it a 30 second job to switch the wires.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

I don't know the Prarie 650 at all but that wouldn't alter the rev limiter, though I'm a bit surprised the limiter doesn't come in on both. It will be the neutral and reverse switches on the gearbox that need altering.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
I don't know the Prarie 650 at all but that wouldn't alter the rev limiter, though I'm a bit surprised the limiter doesn't come in on both. It will be the neutral and reverse switches on the gearbox that need altering.
This isn't the regular rev limiter built into the CDI, it's the limiter that's only activated as a speed limiter in reverse gear that seems to be a feature on all larger utility ATVs. In neutral the bike revs like it does in forward gear but in reverse it's limited to like 7 mph or something unless you use the override button. These wires being switched were giving the computer the signal that it's in reverse when it was in neutral so it cut the revs very early unless you used the button and in reverse, when the neutral light was on, it revved freely. Now that the wires are switched it works as it should and the correct lights come on in the correct gear.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

My post should have gone in answer to Roy Hendershots, somehow it got put below post 4, so doesn't make sense. Even 125 Yams have that reverse rev limiter, as well as most Suzukis etc, On them it is controlled by the CDI though, via an extra wire from reverse light switch, into CDI.