Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

K&N clam on for my Mojave????

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to ditch the airbox in favor of a K&N pod clamp on filter. Does anyone out there have this setup and can you tell me which one to use? Thank you!!

Old 07-31-2001, 10:34 AM
Range Rover

I just ordered the Uni 2-stage pod clamp on filter p/n 30-703 and Outerwares prefilter for my Mojave. Of course it is on backorder from Dennis Kirk. I went with the foam 2-stage after much research because of cost and what I plan on using it for. The Uni was only $14. The K&N one you want is p/n 30-514 from Dennis Kirk-it is 2 1/8" at the flange 3 1/2 diam and 4" long angled 5 deg. This is about the largest filter you can fit in there after removing the air box. The Mojave stock carb is 2 1/8" od at the flange. HTH
By the way what main jet do you plan on using after this mod? I am already at 145 with the pipe change. Everything else was too lean.

Old 08-01-2001, 09:29 AM
Range Rover

I got my filter yesterday-funny coincidence huh? Anyway, I installed it and it fit great. I also had to get a filter for the crankcase breather hose. I modified a Fram G2 gas line filter from Walmart to use on this hose. A little air filter oil and this thing should suit my purpose. I was glad to get rid of that bulky air box contraption-had to take out the top rear shock bolt to remove the body. I'm running a little lean again and I'm waiting on some jets to arrive. I hope this info helped. I also have to say that the Uni air foam filter is a quality unit and I recommend it-great price too.

Old 08-01-2001, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

Are you sure you are lean? I am running a supertrapp pipe and a clamp on filter. I have tried both the K&N and the uni. I cant run more than a 138 main jet without getting to rich. I do not live at high altitude either.

Old 08-01-2001, 12:26 PM
Range Rover

I'm not at ha either, I just kept swapping jets until it ran strong throughout the rpm range-not to say I am not rich, but that's how I got where I am. It had a stumble at lower rpm, when I got to the 145 all that went away and it stays strong throughout. All I changed was my main jet, should I have gone for some of the others (pilot, etc)?

Old 08-02-2001, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

mordr, You should not need to mess with the pilot jet. The main jet is all you really need to fool with. I would pull my plug and look at it. If its not black and your running strong, then you are ok. When I get to a 145 mine starts to loose some top end and when I check the plug it is as black as can be. The mojave does not have the strongest spark and after a while the plug will foul if you run too rich.

lurch, a clamp on is the way to go on your mo. The k&n with outerwear works well for mx. If the tracks you run are not kept watered and are very dusty then inspect to see if fine dust is getting past the filter. If there is a problem, then changing to a good foam like the uni will take care of it. The K&N will flow more air and is the best choice if there's not a bunch of fine dust.

Old 08-02-2001, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer

with the clamp on do you have to get a outerwear for it or can you run it with it

Old 08-02-2001, 05:12 PM
Range Rover

I'd say it's always a good idea to run an Outerwares. It will protect your air filter as well as your engine-it's cheap insurance.

Old 08-02-2001, 10:50 PM
Trailblazer

I run a single stage pod filter without outerwears and a Big Gun exhaust on my '87. I run a 160 main jet and it is jetted perfectly. This is strange that you guys are running such smaller jets with the same basic setup. I know that each machine jets differently but this is an extreme from a 145 to 160. My quad barely runs on a 145.

Old 08-03-2001, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer

i was wondering if you motor is getting broke in or are you at sea level etc... you guys all have a great point on this air box deal ive got a stock 99 and the only thing ive did is take a drill that was one foot long and ream the stock exhaust out which belive me helped the bottom end of the power ban.... also since i live in the desert southwest nowater.... i took off the front mud flaps and i tell you what it looks like a nice bike now just like the stock mo that todd k. runs the air box may be next the only question is on those part numbers you gave are they correct....???? did it fit ok... take care you guys Jim

Quick Reply: K&N clam on for my Mojave????