Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave Sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 06:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys, I went ahead and put the silencer core in the E series White Brothers pipe and low and behold, the thing quit sputtering. Great huh? No... I have to tell you, when I first got the Mojave two months ago I was in hog heaven. I read up on it as much as I could and I thought that at $3300 out the door for a new 2001 I had a bargin.

Then came August 26th, 2001. A day that will forever go down in history as the day the Mojave was proven to suck hind tit.

Me and some other atv'ers loaded up and went to The Badlands (Attica, Indiana). I have to tell you, that place is quad heaven (I will get to in another post). Anyway, on the trip was another Modified Mojave, two Warriors, a Trail Boss and a DS 650. Other than the Trail Boss, I go my lunch fed to me. I got stuck going up many of the hills because third get was a dog with no low end power and second didnt have the speed to get keep me moving.

Now I know what you are thinking... This guy cant ride worth a crap... Wrong. I am not a pro circuit rider, but I am now 31 and have riden since I was 13.

I just have to say that Kawasaki needs to step it up. I have decided to give the little green gal to my wife and hope the kick starter doesnt break her leg. Since Kawasaki has not made it known what their plan is for the next generation Mojave or sport quad, I am going to have to look at a Raptor or a 400EX. Any thoughts?

The straw htat broke the camels back was several drags we had where the Warriors with inexperienced riders killed the Mojave.

Old 08-27-2001, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Man you just broke my heart! I can sit here in all honesty and tell you that just two weeks ago I rode with about 25 guys and we draged our quads. The drag was about 80 yards long(enough for me to hit 4th topped out) on a medium pack surface. I was pitted up against 400 scrambler,500 scrambler,400ex and two warriors. The results were the 500 beat the 400 Scrambler by about a foot, then the 400 ex was about a half a quad back and there was me with my front tire beside the 400ex's back tire. The warriors were about 2-3 full quads back side by side. I am no pro rider either, I am 26 and I am decent, at going fast atleast. I only have a jet kit and k&n on mine and to do as well as I did impressed every body there. The 400EX rider could not believe how well the little 250 kept up and the two Warriors were ragged hard for losing so badly. We did this three times with identical results every time. As far as hill climbing mine has taken me up some pretty dog gone steep hills, all that my acorns will let me try. If you think about just this for one second.....$3,300 out the door!!! You can throw $1,000 in that thing and have one hell of a quad that will beat all of the above that I mentioned and you'll still have spent $1,000 less! Is the glass half empty? Or is it half full????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2001, 07:46 PM
Range Rover

2000 Mojave,

Thanks for the honest reply. I actually read you post last week to a guy with one of the Warriors that thumped me.

There may be hope for me yet. Understand, I can ride better than most... I just dont know a darn thing about the engine, hop up's etc. As you can see, I have the White brothers E series with 8 discs and 1 silencer. I have the K&N. Now getting to the jets. What, where, how? Is this something I can do?

Appreciate it!

Old 08-27-2001, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

well freakystone, i think you got the wrong quad. you bought a 250cc FOUR STROKE. it was not designed to perform with the big boys. it is, however, the best(i think) quad in its class. it has more power than the 300ex and is even liquid cooled. yet it is still a whole lot cheaper. you got what you paid for, one heck of a good quad for its size but nothing else. if you wanted more power you should have at least gotten a 400ex or raptor. you got a good quad. it does not suck.

later

Old 08-27-2001, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

I personally put the K&N/Dyno Jet kit on mine. Most people here just go up on the main jet. I imagine either way is close to equal in terms of performance so I would say just go with the main jet upgrade. That would definately be the easier way, not to mention cheaper way to go. I am not 100% sure of the Mojave main jet(stock) size, but I believe it's a 132. Mojaveaddict, jeffksf3,mordr and others could give you a better understanding of the jets to upgrade to. The main jet is easy to replace. Just take the carb off, remove the bowl and it is right there in the middle in a brass insert,just get a good flat blade screw driver screw it out and put a 134-138 in and put the carb back on. Keep in mind the Mojave isn't the easiest quad to work on and I always take the front fenders off to get easy accsess to the carb. The service manual is about $30 and is probably a good investment if your uncertain of doing this kind of work. From my understanding it goes into good detail in just about every mechanical repair you can do to the quad. I will not sit here and say the Mojave is the best quad out there, but I don't think it can be beat for the money. Good luck!!!

Old 08-27-2001, 09:38 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Looks to me like you could be 2002 Raptor material. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Chet

Old 08-27-2001, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

Man I have been riding since I was 5-6 years old, I am 18 now. Stock bore but I have a wiseco piston and web cam race cams(mid-top) and a klr250 box, and with 18 inch raer tires I can easily beat a 400ex with an exhaust and an experinced rider. Warriors are a breeze. But it is all rider because my friend has a warrior and I can beat him by a couple lengths but when switched i beat him. You have to ride my Mojave like a two stroke or it will bog because of the high lift cams. Its all rider[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-28-2001, 09:45 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for all the help. I will have a larger jet installed this weekend or so. Time is something I dont have much of, the money isnt the problem. But I cant see dumping over a grand into a Mojave when I can get a new 400EX for $4700 (yes $4700) and give the Mojave to my wife or boy.

Any solid rumors on the next Mojave or Mojave replacement?

Old 08-28-2001, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Ken,

I just had one of Four Strokes Tech's 330cc kits put on my 2000 Mojave. It would lift the front end in 4th gear, and I run 13/40 gearing. I am VERY happy with my Mojave. I recommend this kit to everyone that has even thought about it.

Peace!

Old 08-28-2001, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

Lurch how did you do at the national race in Tenneesse? Is the 330 a stroker engine? thanks

Quick Reply: Mojave Sucks...