Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bought a UNI pod for the Mojave

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a UNI pod filter on today, it was really nice to get rid of the stock airbox (shaves off 4 pounds after you account for the new weight of the UNI). I didnt notice any gain in performance though, it may be less in fact. I'm wondering if its a little lean maybe but I dont know. It will back fire if I let off the gas more than it used to (through the pipe) and I thought that was indicative of a richer mixture. Any ideas? I used the Maxima spray on filter lube, that stuff is pretty damn thick, is it possible I got to much on there and its resticting flow, I applied per the instructions but only on the inner element, I left the outer element dry so I wouldnt have to clean it as often.

Old 09-07-2001, 08:36 AM
Range Rover

I would defintely get an Outerwares for your filter-it keeps a lot of stuff from even hitting the filter-it makes it a lot easier to clean also. Where a clamp on is on the Mojave causes it to get covered in dirt, dust, etc.-the Outerwares has kept my filter in good shape. You probably are lean-any change to your motor requires some carb tuning-you would not believe the difference correct jetting makes-You can try using your choke-if it runs better with it on at all-you are lean.

Old 09-07-2001, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Good idea, I didnt even think of choking it. Yea, I'll pick one up this weekend, forgot all about it when I was up at the shop. I went to buy oil and an oil filter and came out with an air filter too.

Old 09-09-2001, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

A simple note to anybody that makes the same mistake I just did, lol. When you remove the stock air box there is a breather tube from the top of the crank case that vents through the air box. Do not cap this off like I did. I was out riding yesterday and after about 5 minutes I heard a loud bang, followed by stinging and hot sensasion. You know the window that allows you to view the oil level on the side of the crank case? Yup, it blew out and hit me in the side of the foot followed by some toasty oil!

I dont know why I didnt think about this when I capped it off, duh. Anyways, I went up to Pep Boys today and purchased a chrome breather to place on it, should be good as old now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Do you think that maybe this is what was causing my perceived lack of some bottom end? I havent ran it yet, still have to change the oil out and install the breather. Hopefully this is all that was the matter. Oh, my foot is fine by the way, a few blood blisters, a bruise, and a bump. In case you were wondering the glass did not break (or acrylic, which ever it is), the whole thing flew out out. Its a piece of glass (or acrylic) mounted in a rubber ring, just a pressure fitting really. I popped it back into place when I realized what the hell had happened.