Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota Sport Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks! To be honest I didn't call any of the companies, only looked at the catalogs. I know I know. I've heard it makes a diff. on the Lakota, it's talked about in the tech section on this website. I just can't imagine that it will make is accelerate quicker. Just have to try it and see I guess. How tough of a time did you have swapping them out?

Drilling out the slide is a piece of cake. Be sure you have some carb. cleaner, compressed air don't hurt either (you can get a can of it at Radio Shack). This is just to be sure you clean it and wash away any debris. The slide has 2 holes, you only drill one. It tells you in the instructions which hole, you can't get it wrong. It does even come with the correct drill bit so you know you've got the right size. Drilling the slide makes it more responsive, it lets more air in.

The kit came with 4 diff. jets.. You will likely run one of the 2 largest. I found the 138 to run to rich for me, but yours maybe diff., and it depends on your elevation. The instructions give you a good ballpark on which one with what other mods. and your elevation.

IMHO! Do not get the DG pipe. Get the Supertrapp. You will not be disappointed, I think you will be with the DG. Given this is only my opinion. Besides the Supertrapp has a really good sound to it.

The Mojave uses a 34mm carb. while the Lakotas is a 32mm. Drilling the slide must not be necessary with the larger carb. The Mojave revs a lot faster too. I have wanted to put a Mojave carb. on a Lakota, I've heard people say it really makes diff. However, they say it takes a lot of tinkering with the jet sizes and needle locations to get it running right. Due to this I have not yet attempted it. Although the chassis/suspension is almost identicle between the 2, the power plants are completley diff. The only real diff. is the Lakota has a 1/2" longer swingarm. This is good. Although, the Mojave has the better power plant even though it's "50cc's" smaller.

BTW - Get the jet kit and filter through Rocky Mountain, pipe too for that matter. If I remeber correctly I saved almost $50 compared to Dennis Kirk. They do not have the Power Kit but they it all individually and it's cheaper that way. Yes, you get everything that's in the Power Kit. Not to mention that when I originally place my order, it was through Dennis Kirk, and EVERYTHING was backordered. That is what prompted me to start calling other companies. The other companies were similarly priced, but Rocky was the Cheapest and they had EVERYTHING IN STOCK. I cancelled Dennis Kirk.

Old 09-20-2001, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Another question 2000Mojave if you would. I see you also have a trailboss. My friend has a 2001 too. I absolutely walk all over it with the Lakota. I know you'll dust me, do you have the same issue? My buddy has recently rejetted it and added a clutch kit with the green spring. I runs better, I haven't go to ride it out in the open, but it still doesn't run like the Lakota. I was just wondering if you feel it is awfully slow as well. It's weird now because the motor revs so high before you start moving with the clutch kit.

Old 09-20-2001, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

Stebob
Yes the TrailBoss is slowwwwwwwww!! Mine is completely stock and I would gess the top speed is around 40-45! I bought it so that my girlfriend and I had something big enough to ride double on, especially at night since I can't see where in the heck I'm going on my Mojave. It was her first quad so I just wanted something cheap and easy to learn on. She bugs me every day about trading it in on a Lakota sport so I guess in the spring that's what we'll be doing. Don't get me wrong, I like the TrailBoss, it does everything I thought it would, nice ride, room for two and I haven't had any probs with it, but I told her once she had about a year of experiance she could get something sportier. Besides, she always wants to ride the Mojave!!

Old 09-20-2001, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

majave 2000
Sorry it took so long to write,but our network at work went down.
You are correct, not all jet kits are the same.
But I have seen the kit on the dyno-jet web site and the lakota does include a drill bit.
As for how the acceleration is increased is on this type of engine design (the same stands for the majave) the quicker the slidfe in the carb moves the quicker acceleration.
You all have to understand, my experiance is over a broad amount of bikes, not just the lakota.
Many different pipes are tuned for mid-range or top end. As for what brands to use I'll have to get back to you after further research.
As for brand of jet kit, dyno-jet is the only one I would Use.
I have to go for now I'm very interested in all your feed back.
I'm also very intetrested in hiering more about the lakota as well as the majove.
My lakota I bought for my kids, But I'm very interested in a mojave for my self.

Old 09-21-2001, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Everyone,
I looked up the stock main jet sizes on the Kawasaki web page for the 2001 Lakota Sport. The parts diagram shows a standard jet size of #140 for the U.S. It then list main jet sizes of 135,138,142,145,148,150 and 152 as options. I am confused as do the different jet listings. I assume my Lakota has a main jet of #140. The Dynomax jetkit instructions say to use thier jet #138 for lower elevations and a #134 for mid to higher elevations. The reason I am confused is because I thought the bigger the jet, the more fuel delivered. It appears (although this can not be right) that the stock main jets are larger than the aftermarket main jets. Anyone know what is going on? I live in an area where the elevation is about 3,000 feet. I noticed STEBOB went with the #134 jet at an elevation of around 1200 feet (Indianna) with an aftermarket exhaust. I was planning on doing the same since I also will be running an aftermarket exhaust. (STEBOB said the #138 was to rich). I hope the #134 is not too rich for my elevation. Thanks for any help you have.
Lakota300

Old 09-21-2001, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

lakota300cr,
On jet sizes, every after market company as well as oem have a different jetting index sizing. a #140 oem jet may very well be exstremely smaller or larger than a aftyer market company (no matter wich brand).
I know I have already expressed my allegence to the dyno-jet manufacyuor, but I am ten years displaced from the sport.
I just can't express to you how inportant it is to by a complete jet kit.
The jet kits are expertly engineered and tested for top performance of a perticular bike.
If you had as many years as I do, seeing the evolution of performance, it would be clear that if a company, inwich invests millions to find top performance on every level, let me ask you who are we to say we may find a diamond in the rugh as far as performance is concerned.
I have looked up the kit for the lakota, and it cost less than $50.00
I'm going to be painfully onest with you. The jet kit will give you the graetest jump in horse power, no matter what mods. you currently have.
I don't know about other jet kits, but dynojet has three different main jets that come with thier kit. These mains depend on what mods you have made and what elevation you are at.
As a general rule of thumb (now every one listen here) every 1500 foot of elevation, or every 15 degrees temperture change requires a main jet change.
Now were ever you live or what elevation you live at (expressing what dyno-jet has to say) you will recieve excellent instructions how to jet your carb. and how to trouble shoot it.
Dyno-jet has an excellent tech sapport telephone #, and take it from a man who has owned a Dyno-jet Dynometer just calm down and spend the $50.00 and enjoy every thing we are talking about.

Ride It Like You Stole It!!!!!

Old 09-21-2001, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Gaff is correct. Although Kaw. lists their stock main jet as a 140 doesn't mean that it's larger than the Dyno Jet's 134. The #'s are not universal. The elevation I'm at is around 740'. However I still used a smaller jet, strange I know that's just how it worked out for me.

Old 09-21-2001, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Lakota 300

You are confusing me now. The Dyno jet jets are different than the Keihin jets. Such as a DJ134 and a Keihin 134 are different. My dyno jet kit came with DJ 128,DJ130,andDJ132. The needle had about 3 or 4 different settings based on elevation. Example: 0-1000 ft use setting one. 1000-2000 ft use setting two etc..etc.. The needle stayed the same no matter what aftermarket components you have(atleast on the Mojave kit) just as long as it is in the right setting for the elevation. Mine says to run the DJ128 with stock filter/exhaust. DJ130 with aftermarket filter and stock exhaust. DJ 132 with aftermarket filter and free flowing exhaust. I don't understand why the Lakota would say to run a DJ 138 for a higher elevation and a DJ134 for a lower. That doesn't make sense. They lost me on that one.

Old 09-22-2001, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Majave 2000
The different after market companys have thier own jet indexing sizes, meaning that a dyno-jet, jet would most likely be a different size than a kiehin. by how much, I don't know.
I can tell you, when I was still racing thier were manny different combinations I tried and I did notice at that time some jets with the same number (say a 134) were dramaticly different sizes.
As far as elevation goes the difference is the higher you are the thinner the air the lesser fuel that can be used. Now I can hier the next question already, does this mean bikes at sea level are faster, not exactly.
The secrets of coming up with the exact fuel air mixture in every different bike in all the different alltitudes and tempatures seems to be ever lasting.
Coming from mid ohio to south louisiana, was a extream in learning curves for me.
At the time I drag raced a Kawi 750 three cylinder two stroke, It was quite the experience chasing all these same carberation questions that I see here to day.
I have to say, as many years ago that has been, is thier ever going to be a defined answer to the carb jetting as far as top performance is concerned.

Old 09-22-2001, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

Hay guys,
Its time for me to adj. the lakotas valves
I don't have a manual yet (one on order), does any one know the clearence, and any thing special for the lakota while doing this
Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Lakota Sport Performance