Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Has anyone NOT had to replace their choke cable on prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY 650 HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP SINCE AUG. 14. BECAUSE OF THE CHOKE BEING TOO SHORT. TECH. SAID REAR CARB WAS RUNNING WITH THE CHOKE ABOUT 1/4 ON ALL THE TIME.

MINE TOO WAS RUNNING VERY SICK : CUTTING IN/OUT AT SUSTAINED SPEEDS, STRONG GAS ODOR, FOULING PLUGS ETC. I HAD MY QUAD ABOUT 3 1/2 WEEKS AND IT HAS NOW BEEN IN THE SHOP ABOUT 7 WEEKS. MAN AM I P####D.

TECNICHIAN SAID THEY WOULD PROBABLY BE A RECALL ON THIS. HE SAID KAWASAKI TOLD HIM THAT 1 OUT OF 2 RIGHT NOW WERE HAVING THIS PROBLEM.
SAID A COMPLETE NEW SYSTEM WOULD BE SENT OUT TO FIX THE PROBLEM.

TECH. ALSO SAID THAT JUST IN THE LAST COUPLE WEEKS HAS KAWASAKI ADMITTED THERE WAS A PROBLEM. AT FIRST THEY SAID IT WAS ONLY ADJUSTMENTS. HOPEFULLY THEY HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT.

HE TOLD ME TO CHECK WITH HIM MONDAY AND IF IT APPEARS THAT IT WILL BE A COUPLE MORE WEEKS BEFORE THE CABLE COMES IN, HE WILL UNHOOK THE CHOKE COMPLETELY FROM MY MACHINE SO I CAN BRING IT HOME. HE SAID IT WILL PROBABLY BE HARDER TO START ON COLD MORNINGS (DA) BUT I COULD USE WD-40 TO HELP IN THE PROCESS.

JUST THINK, I SOLD A ALMOST NEW RUBICON FOR THIS !! HONESTLY I STILL LOVE THE KAW, BUT I HOPE THEY GET THESE BUGS WORKED OUT, AND I SURE HOPE THEY CAN GET THEIR PARTS OUT MUCH QUICKER NEXT TIME
LATER

Old 09-30-2001, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

They should have had the trailer hitches, belts, air filters, rear end fluid, driven pulley spacers, etc. ready to go when the machine was ready to sell.

Old 09-30-2001, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Location: South Central Illinois, NO where near Chicago, that's not my Illinois

To: << kawikentuckian650 >>

Did you see my post above, there is an alternate part number for the choke cable my dealer had it the next day after I told him about it. Mine is running better than it ever did before and it ran better than anything else before, anyway. From dead stop up to around 15mph I can now pull the front end straight up with only throttle. And no more hard starts when warm or ruough low / mid range throttle.
Anyway see my post above for the part number your dealer should be able to get it by Tuesday. and have you going again by Tuesday afternoon.
Good LuckText

Old 10-01-2001, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Bigwave,

I did see that. Is it a replacement exactly like the cable that came on it. If it is, you will probably have the same problems in the future, they say half of whats out right now are having problems, but I hope your problem is done with. I will give this part # to the service manager tomorrow.
They called me today and he said that Kaw. told him that the new choke cable assembly would not be shipped for another 3-4 weeks. They have many ready to go now but they are going to wait till they have enough to send 4-5 to every dealership at once. This really must be a problem.
Kaw told him to completly unhook the cable going to my rear carb and leave the front one hooked up. This should be sufficient to still get it started. They again said use wd-40 if problems do occur. So it looks like I will be able to pick my quad up tomorrow. Why didn't they tell us this about 6 weeks ago !!!!!! (he also said Kaw will more than likely extend my warranty for the time it has been in the shop)

Thanks again Bigwave

Old 10-01-2001, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

why and where wd40?
Thanks.

Old 10-01-2001, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Location: South Central Illinois, NO where near Chicago, that's not my Illinois

It looks to me to be the same basic cable design that is pictured in the Shop manual. I looked at the new cable before they put it on and it makes a very hard turn in the cable near the carbs. It seemed to be a little stiffer than it should be in " brand new " condition, to me. I would not doubt if it does happen again, my dealer said he was going to oil it up as best he could before putting it on, hopefully that helps.
The one thing I can say for sure is this thing runs better now than it ever did and it ran very well before.
I'll keep everyone posted if it happens again.
Ride Safe
All

Old 10-01-2001, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

technician told me today that if I had problems getting it started, to spray WD-40 directly into the top of the rear carb. I quess it will act basicly the same way as starting fluid. He said DO NOT use starting fluid. WD-40 also has natural lubricants that will only help the carb (according to him)
Bigwave, tech also said he could tell when he first seen the cable assembly that they would be having problems, he said it made something like a 90 degree turn right before it went into the carbs. The new assembly will not have this turn, and also be much stronger, working the plungers in and out much easier.

Old 10-06-2001, 09:21 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 650 prairie and so does my brother and my dad. Yes 3 of them. We purchased them in the summer. I have noticed some what of a problem in starting them since we got them. But labor day weekend all three of them just ran like crap. They would not go over 41mph. and as most of you know that is very slow compared to 65mph i got up to a month before. We thought we just got bad gas and drained the gas and put premium back in them and they still performed poorly. We then changed all the sparkplugs. The old ones were solid black and screwed up. After that they were up and goin over 60mph in no time. But i dont think bad gas was the problem. After hearing your stories i believe it is the choke cable. If i have to change the plugs again i will put a new choke cable in. Other than that the performance is the best i have riden by far. I still believe this is the best 4x4 four-wheeler on the market.

Old 10-06-2001, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

<< I haven't had any problems yet. I did however order one up ahead of time just in case. (~$20) >>

Well, I hope that they come in soon because I think my choke is starting to stick also. My buddy was riding behind me and said that black smoke was coming out of my exhaust after I started it up and while he was following me. It cleared up though and ran fine. Lately it has been stalling out once in a while, and it backfires quite loudly if I'm going down a steep hill with only engine compression. If I give it a little bit of gas going down the steep hill, no backfire though. But power and speed seem normal.

I'm taking it in to the dealer Monday for the dreaded first service. I hate to do it, but I have an extended warranty that I don't want voided.

Old 10-06-2001, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Your warranty will NOT be voided. Do it yourself if you want to. It's easy. I got Kawi to write me a letter indicating what I just told you.
Also, the backfiring might be your pilot jet being too lean, just a guess.
Check it out.

Quick Reply: Has anyone NOT had to replace their choke cable on prairie 650