Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 Owners. Any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2001, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I am in the process of buying a 4X4, gonna take my time and make a purchase in about 6 months. I am kinda torn between the V twin engine and all it brings to the table-VS- the auto tranny. I just keep having second thoughts about buying a belt drive 4X4(why can't they make a 5 speed too?). I own a 4X2 Polaris auto, but the Prairie will be used much more aggresively(mud/water etc). I have seen some problems here, but I realize for every problem posted, there are about 10 owners without any problems at all. JeffOXSR, I see that you own a 400 EX and the Prairie. I am considering parting ways with my Mojave when/if I purchase the Prairie. I will miss it I am sure, it is a fun little machine, but if you had to choose only one would you take the 650 or the 400? Any how I am just gonna take this slow and see if any signifigant problems develop with the 650. If any body out there has regrets on their purchase of the 650 let me know and give me some reasons why. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2001, 06:55 PM
Range Rover

"regrets I've had a few but then again to few to mention". The stock tires stink in mud. I put ITP 589's on and it is much better. I did get stuck in a swamp next to a river that I had no business being in. I screamed thru another mud hole yesterday. I am just having a blast on this quad. It feels and handles like good sport machine. It really is the best of both worlds. Utility and sport. Just buy it you won't regret it.

Old 09-30-2001, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

I have over 40-hours on mine and I couldn't be happier! Kaw did their home work and revolutionized the SPORT/utility market. From the diff-lock to relocating the gas tank this machine is designed for serious riders who prefer automatics and racks. I made a few modifications; I added a winch, put on OMF Performance 12” Bead Lock Douglas .190 wheels with Maxxis All-Trak tires. I also added angled foot peg extensions which are designed and manufactured by Mike Pinland. I am also adding handle bar grip bars to the handle bars which are very popular with snowmobiles. The go into the end of the handle bar and can be either a 90 degree bend or a 45 degree bend. These allow you to maintain a solid grip on the bars during tight corners that require body action. I notice they are particularly handy during winter riding. You can get them from your local Snowmobile dealer.

We have three riders in our group who ride the Kaw and about four others that are saving their beer money so they can buy one. It is an awesome wheeler and I highly recommend the Prairie 650.

Old 09-30-2001, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

No regrets here I don't think you will be disappointed if you were to buy it. And once you get it you will never want to stop ridding it!

Old 09-30-2001, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

I regret not owning one........

Old 10-01-2001, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

the only regret i have is i did`nt buy 2!I am not knocking the 400 4X4 prairie,
but the 650 kicks ****!!

Old 10-01-2001, 04:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had my 650 for about two weeks now and just love the sport feel it has. I have owned many Suzuki King Quads in the past. So I'm not used to running a true sport ATV. However I always ran my utility quads pretty hard at time as if though they were sport ATV. The Kaw 650 really is the best of both worlds. Very smooth responsive acceleration that will pin ya back and plenty of low end torque for plowing and hauling.

I love it and have no regrets.

OldmanWheeler: What do the "OMF Performance 12 Bead Lock Douglas .190" do for you that the stock wheels don't? Also what made you decide to go with the Maxxis All-Trak tires? Got a pic of your 650? - Thanks.

Old 10-01-2001, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Oldmanwheeler: What do the beadlock wheels cost. My stockers keep getting dings on the rims and I was wondering if beadlocks would prevent this?

Old 10-01-2001, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

0 regrets.

I dented two of my stock rims yesterday. The stock rims on the 650 stick out past the tire, so they dent pretty easy. .190 aluminums don't stick out so far, and also many after market tires have built in rim protectors.

On a side note, the rear tires on my 650 are wearing out extremely fast.

Old 10-02-2001, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

The only regret I have is that I bought a 02 400ex back in July. I got skid plates and a full Big Gun exhaust for it and after riding it a few weeks decided it wasn't the quad for me. Took a big hit trading for a Prairie 650, but I found the perfect quad for me. It's the best of both worlds I think.

Ranch0rider
02 Prairie 650
00 Rancher 4x4 ES
02 Sport Trax 90

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 Owners. Any regrets?