Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2001 Lakota Sports,and a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today,
I got an offer that I could'nt refuse on 2 brand new 01 Lakota Sports.Nice,versatile ATVs,but where's the best place to order a hitch bracket from?I will sometimes trailor a very small amount of wood and will need a hitch for it.

I cant seem to find the release for my seat.I have looked for 15 minutes and still cant figure out how to release it?Im looking for my owners manual and I think its under the seat,but it wont come off?Anybody?

Thanks to all of you for your help,
Bill

Old 10-01-2001, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,
Well the does not have a latch. Yup, that's right. You will have to unbolt it, the entire seat and rear fenders at once. It is not hard to do once you figure out which ones to do. Your owner's manual should have been handed to you in a plastic bag. There is a little storage compartment right behind the seat. It could be there.

I recommend the hitches off the Kaw. website. I have looked in Cabela's and the ones they have look very cheap.

This Hi Torque has been doing some Lakota mods. you may want to check out. Go to bottom of page click on ATV Conn Mag and in search box put Lakota.

Old 10-01-2001, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Hay Bill,
I Found The kawi accessory book you will recieve in a couple of weeks has the best stuff I've seen so far. You can get on that site through the kawasaki.com sight.
The accessories are quite attractive and go well with the bike.
I haven't seen the after market stuff, but I have seen at this site some complaints about maybe not being a direct fit.
As far as the owners manual I recieved mine with the rest of the paper work I got when I bought it.
I never tried to take the seat off yet but just hang tite thiers more than a few lakota riders on here and thy have had thier bikes alot longer than I have.

Old 10-01-2001, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man,
I was beginning to wonder about the seat thing!So the fenders have to go with it to?I'll figure it out in the morning.[I hope?]Im not going to be real happy that I have to go thru a bunch of BS just to remove my seat?

I was hoping for an aftermarket hitch bracket,but if you experienced Lakota guys dont think its advisable,I will certainly take your advice and NOT go with aftermarket.I'll wait for a few more responses,and I thank you fellows much for the help.

Happy Trailing to all!
Bill

OO Xplorer 400cc 4x4
26 Inch Mudrunners
Delta V-Force reeds w/spacer kit
RcR airbox mods
Modified PSI pipe w/Scrambler silencer
SideWinder sprockets/chain
Heel Clickers clutch kit
GPS and more?

Two 01 Lakota Sports[new today]
All Stock![so far]

Old 10-02-2001, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Bill,

400 Explorer huh? humph! Rock on! We just don't see too many of those around here. Welcome! How does it run? A friend of a friend has one, but I've never seen it, you know how that goes. Since your prob. breaking in your Lakotas you prob. don't know how the Lakota how would do in a straight line drag do you? I have no idea, I hear they are really quick. I see you have 26" on there. How much did it effect acceleration/top speed and such? A good friend of mine does have a '99 400 Scrambler 4x4. It runs damn good. It will out accerate me in a drag. I have got a chance to race him after I put a pipe and such on.

Anyway, sorry for the questions, my curisousity gets away from me sometimes. Here is what the Clymer's manaul tells you to do.

1. Reomove the cable tie and disconnect the three tail light bullet connectors.

2. From underneath the fender, remove the bolt on each side securing the carrier to the rear brace (gray bar on fender).

3. Remove 2 grab rail mounting bolts on each side.

4. Remove the band securing each mud flap to the foot guard.

5. Pull the rear fender rearward, disengage the seat tabs from the braces on the frame.

Hope this helps. Agreed it is BS and something that would be very easy for them to re-engineer. However, you will not need under it very often, there is no storage or anthing there. The air box is a weird design, that I wish someone in the after market would soon resolve, so you don't need to take seat off to get to the filter.

Old 10-02-2001, 04:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Stebob,
the Xplorer is very fast.I have never lost a straight line drag race to another utility 4x4.The pipe and clutch kit really woke this beast up.It just shreads up the mud to.No offense,but my Xplorer will KILL either of my Lakota's in a drag race,no competetion there.I casually jumped on the Lakota's,they're going to have to get a WHOLE lot faster to beat the Xplorer.Now,if we go play in the woods on the tight/twisty trails,I lose.The Xplorer is just to big/bulky for that type of a race.

I sincerly thank you for your contributions to my seat removal,I'll work on it in the morning.I looked in the storage compartment you earlier talked about,but nothing was there except the tool kit.

Bill

Old 10-02-2001, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,
Have you raced a Prarie 650 yet?

Old 10-02-2001, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

muddy4life.
I see you are looking under the seat for your owners manual.
I just want to save you some time and saying it's not thier as a matter of fact thiers no storage thier.
And on the 01 models thiers two black plastic screws were your left thy rest while sitting on it. Remove these and you'll see two phillip head screws remove those and the two at the bottom and slide the air box cover out.
Try to contact the dealer, the owners manual has alot of very useful info.
Also make sure to change the oil after two tank fulls. I believe I can speak for every one in saying you will find some assembly silicone in the oil filter.

Old 10-02-2001, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Stebob,
I am waiting for the opertunity to race ''our own'' Jeff Fox Sr.He lives and Michigan and we talk often,but so far,no race with one yet.My other friend Jeff has the new 660 Grizz on order,I'll race him to.

Gaff,
thank you so much for all the info.
Bill

Old 10-02-2001, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Bill,
If you are looking for a storage compartment under the seat like on the polaris, there is none. That is why the seat and fenders come of as a unit. I recomend putting an in line fuel filter on your Lakotas ASAP. I had plastic from the tank on my Mojave get stuck in my float after it was about 2 weeks old(The Mojave and Lakota use the same tank). I have talked to other people who have had this happen and the dealer told me that it is not uncommon. Unless Kawasaki has started putting them on which I'm not sure, but it seems like common sense to filter the fuel just for good measure.

Quick Reply: 2001 Lakota Sports,and a few questions?