Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New rider... looking for advise!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've only ridden quads a few times with some friends....but man is it addicting!!! done some riding in a friends pasture.. lots of grass, ruts, small canyons. Went creek bed running with another friend sand is a blast!! ALso did some trail riding in Colorado before.

majority of my riding will be a mix of all these... with maybe some dune time thrown in as well! ok, thats if i get a quad! still finishing up my mustang... and college has left me pretty broke!

I'm looking at trying to grab a used Mojave, from the reviews i've read from the forums as well as articles it looks like it would be the best suited to me, a small liquid cooled 4stroke. What do you guys think? except for a 2001-2002 Mojave.. is there any year to try to look for? and about how much should i look to pay?

Is there any good online resources for being a better driver? i know i am far far far from a good one!!

humm.. and lastly, the few people i would be riding with have a 98 Bayo220, a old Yamaha 350cc Moto4, and a Honda 400 Rancher. will a Mojave keep up with the Rancher?

Old 10-03-2001, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Bro, can't help but jump in here.
Well the mojave is an excellent choice.
Coming over from motor bikes, I can only tell you a quad is more than the cc's it has.
First off the mojave should absolutely kill those other bikes. Now remember your just starting out but wanting a mojave, well lets just say you have to come from good stalk.
The mojave is a short wheel base high acceleration bike that with mild mods should get you about 60 mph.
Thiers some mojave riders who will stop by this thread and can give you detail.
Let me talk dallors and cents. EX400=$5699.00, EX300=$4799.00
The mojave 2001 goes for $4100.00 but its on sale at my local shop and all advertisements I've seen for $3699.00 I've even heard it going for $3300 in some areas.
I'm pro-kawi, I road the hondas and what can I say I don't understand why they cost so much.
My brother rides a warrior, and I test drove one, I didn't like how heavy they felt.
I personaly bought a Lakota Sport for my kids and intended on buying the mojave for my self, but I fell in love with the lakota.
As far as a used Mojave, mojave2000 will probably drop you a line and can fill you in there. As a matter of fact I believe he may be considering selling his to buy a praire.
I don't know this for a fact just seen him thinking out loud on here in the last couple of days.
What ever you do and what ever you buy riding a quad is a ton of fun!!!

Old 10-03-2001, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the riding you describe the Mojave will be perfect. The Mojave is a great machine and simply doesn't get the respect it deserves. Considering the cost it is the best value in sport quads. I've had mine since January and beside it blowing the carb off on start up back in July it has not had any problems.

Old 10-04-2001, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

I love mine too! Its a great all purpose type of quad. It runs through the gears really quickly. The top speed isnt huge but I havent found many times where I'm up there either, usually I'm not past 3rd unless I find a wide open space to fly across. I've seen quite a few go for $1200 in really nice condition. Dont worry about buying an older one, you find anything changing on them other than colors. As long as its been well maintained and is in good condition you cant go wrong.