Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 ?? and some input given

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured i could share some info with the prairie 650

first im one of those guys scared to let the meatballs at the local dealer touch my bike? Its not that i am a mechanical genius but im fairly handy and the manual is available and is detailed enough to follow is this wrong ?

second i have about three hundred milles on her and it looks like a front brake pads are needing a change ordered some today at 48 dollars and change per side Yikes it seems that after market companies havent caught up yet anyone have any resourses yet.?

third here is a big one i noticed on my last ride when desending a hill in 4wd and low gear that the braking would pulse and do a great job but this time every time the brake would pulse the trans sounded like it was jumping in and out of gear i beilieve there was some adjusting to the shift lever that was recomended at first service which i over looked due to the fact that every thing felt right till now. It is an intermeadate problem i was hoping some one had some input.

All and all great bike cant seem to wipe that grin off my face every time i run it.Here is a little tip that i did and it may help some one i had problems and some of its due to my agressive riding style but the black mud flap extensions on the front kept poping out their are some type of rubber anchors that hold it together after beig a little frustraited at these jumpin out i took a saw to the bottom of them where they extend ferther then the floor boards and trimmed them flush with the floor board i also replaced a few of the rubber plugs with a regular nut. I noticed every time i got hung up going over a log or being burried in some muck that that litle mud flap hanging down past the floor board was causing the trim to the entire fender to buckle now that they are trimed no more buckiling.I also have not noticed any more mud flingin with out it.

well thanks for reading and any input is welcome.

Old 10-02-2001, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tip.
I think you already know the pulse is because you go below 2mph, coast above 2mph,then it ebc turns on again, then the process repeats.

The jumping out of gear is a shifter rod adjustment. The way that worked best for mine after hours of research, trial, and error, was to loosen both locknuts then just find the area (in neutral) that has the least resistance when twisting the rod. Then center the rod between those points where resistance starts. You should be close already from the factory. When you do this it should be obvious.

BTW, what tires are you running?

Old 10-03-2001, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

hey jeff thanks for the reply im hoping i can work that shift lever out.I havent went for new tires yet but the stockers are getting beat up the rears are fading and the fronts are getting pretty soft in the side wall along with a few dents in the front rims.The rear tires seem to get alot of wheel spin as we did a little drag raicing and im loosing ground when i launch the other bikes would jump a bike or two then i would be able to hang right with them if not gaining also had some tough compitition a 500 2wd scrambler and a 400 ex im not a big fan of drag raicing but its neat to see how these machines stack up in the speed department they also had tires that were half the hieght an twice as wide.

As for tires i will be going for some goodyear mudtrackers and i definitly want a rim and tire package so i can switch em up when i want to. the problem i have is i havent investigated on rimm size or tire size maybee you could clue me in.i do alot of road racing and am fimular with ofsets and what now here are my ??

do these dougles rims they offer in these packages keep the same with or offsets then stock

what are the stock rim demesions

im not looking for a giant mud machine and dont want to loose the low center of gravity this quad has as i do some weird off camber hill climbs and im doing pretty good with the stockers but the spin pretty easy.

so im thinking 26 or possibly 27 and mabey going a touch wider to compinsate for the height whats your take ??

good year quotes that they give a stock type fit so you can use your stock rims once again do these wheel and tire combos mimmic the same rim dimensions as stock?

just for the record i havent needed a choke cable or from what im reading not yet but i use it care fully and lubed the hell out of hoping it want get me

and as for the belt deflection i didnt measure but i have taken the cover off and inspected and have only noticed very little wear and some belt dust collecting near the silinoid that bolts to the belt cover it also apears that some water has ever so slightly trying to make its way through thae silinoid area im thinking of using a little silicone to get a better seal.i also havent had any slippage butt i do hear a litle squeek here and there at low rpm and heavy load but i drive it more like a snomibile where you give it enough gas not to make the belt try to slip.

sorry for the long novel but i have had a little extra time on my hands and alot of questions piled up but tommorow i will be taking care of my spare time and put it on the prairie and take for a good ride thabks again jefoxer.

Old 10-03-2001, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't done any research on rims, sorry I can't help out there. I did check the price with kawi for new stock rims. $300 for a set of 4, OUCH!

Old 10-03-2001, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

so i am asuming you havent put any tires on either well keep in touch or maybe someone from the list could help us. take care

Old 10-03-2001, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

I am leaning toward the Goodyear Mudrunners

Old 10-03-2001, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer

Hey ROPADOPA. My 650 was doing the same thing, I took it to the dealer and he adjusted the backlash in the gear case, It didnt take him long to fix it, runs great even better than when it was new.
That belt squeaking is a indication of belt deflection out of tolarence, also if you can spin the belt thru the clutch's by hand, if you dont fix it you will lose bottom end big time, increase belt wear, and groving on the clutch faces. Its well worth doing.

Old 10-03-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Bonzi, when they adjust the backlash in your gear case dont they have to split the crankcase?

Old 10-03-2001, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

i ment mudd runners

Old 10-03-2001, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

Prarie Dust I dont know what they did but it took longer to take the machine there and pick it up than it did to fix it, so it can't be much.
Know of any one making a skid plate, I keep getting caught on the big logs in between the front and rear skid plates.

Quick Reply: 650 ?? and some input given