Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 a clatterin...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2001, 01:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff my problem is not the servo kicking in and out at 2 mph. I just had it on my hoist in the garage and could not get it to make noise in low gear. When I take it out again this weekend i'll see if I can figure anything out, it's fine in high gear just decelaration in low gear. Also this Mobil 424 is ticking me off. I just called about 6 places this morning and no one hardly knows what i'm talking about and if the do it's on back order. I did call a tractor dealer and they supposedly have the same product under a different brand for $18.25 for a 2 1/2 gallon jug. My dealer gave me a one quart bottle of a Cub Cadet hydrostatic transmission oil and told me it will work, but i'm afraid to use it.

Old 10-10-2001, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< They don't know squat about this machine. >>

That is very true. I asked for some oil for the rear final gear housing and they came back with 80w gear oil. Then a buddy of mine went to another dealer and asked for oil as well. They gave him 80w gear oil and kept insisting that all diffs use gear oil.

GrizzlyJim, there are several posts regarding locating Mobil 424. Jefffoxsr posted the kawasaki part #. I myself went to a John Deere dealer and they cross referenced the Mobil 424 to their own brand. Below is the original post:

<< The oil is john deer brand, Hy-Gard Low Visocosity, #TY22000. It was about $7 for a gallon, or around $2 for a quart. The specs, and applications matched up in the cross-ref guide. It says on the gallon- for use in wet brakes and final drives. >>

Old 10-10-2001, 02:18 PM
Trailblazer

Eagle 4x4, Yea it only happens in low. The noise was so loud and ugly that it took my attention off the trail and I ripped off one of my fenders. I will be takin it in this week and let you guys know. i am NOT fixin a bike when it is The companies fault.....

Old 10-11-2001, 08:13 AM
Range Rover

When mine screwed up it was no clicking or clanking sound. It was so bad I had to immeditely head out of the woods. It was really loud, you could hear it over the noise of the bike with your helmet on. It sounded like gears grinding. My local dealer had no clue. Took them a week to fix it. They had no clue either about the rear end fluid. I installed a hitch on it, and according to the directions I drained the Mobil 440. They told me Mobil didn't make it any more. After spending two days on the phone with everybody from Kaw. customer service to several different dealers and contacting Mobil and their distributors and their buyers. I found out they still make it but I could only buy in 5 gallon container and drive 8hrs. away to get it. Then when I called the store to get it they said they didn't carry it and I would haft to order a case which were 4-5 gallon containers. Then I finally called my local Growers Co-op and found they had a product called Product-75 which cross referenced it, it's a hydraulic fluid for wet brake systems, it was 15.00 for five gallon container.

Old 10-11-2001, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

The correct name is Mobil 424, and you can get it shipped to your door from Grainger.com; $28.00 for 2.5 gal. The shifter rod adjustment is only two locknuts and one rod to turn. You have to realize that a lot of Dealers don't know how to work on this machine yet. That is the price you pay for buying something new and with new technology. Not that it is bad, you just have to take a little more responsibility in knowing and maintaining your machine.

Old 10-11-2001, 02:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think I fixed mine today. I took it for a little test drive and got it to make the clatter. I pushed forward on the shift lever while in low and the clatter went away. I made a few trial and error linkage rod adjustments and I think it's good to go now. I took another ride and it's fine right now. However it was fine when I bought it too, so hopefully it will stay in adjustment now. I did call Grainger yesterday and they said they had the Mobil 424, but they wouldn't sell it to me because they only sell to companies?

Old 10-11-2001, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

The John Deere Low Vis oil is good stuff. It is used in the hydrostatic transaxles on their garden tractors. I use it in my 455 w/3 cyl diesel. The Kanzaki transaxle houses the wet brakes AND drives the machine as well as PTO clutch(s)