Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2001 mojave hop up questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently got a krome power pipe (obscenely loud as posted in another article)..........and was unaware that it came with out a spark arrestor, which i'll take the blame for since i didn't read far enuff into the description.........

should i rejet??? and if so how hard is it............

and is there any way to make a spark arrestor or at least to find out what they consist of?

thanx in advace

Old 10-11-2001, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know much about that pipe you have, I know every one likes the super-trap IDS2 pipe, from what I hier. I also have a super-trap on order.
As far as making your own spark arrestor....Good luck.
Some one may drop in and know some body but I don't know my self.
Be careful though. Asuper-trap is $199 at rocky mountain atv so don't blow to much before you throw it away.
Try to put it on e-bay and see if you can get some money back out of it. Or maybe some one makes a arester for it.
As far as the jetting..... buy the kit, it's about $84 at rocky mountain for the jet kit with the filter and it will save you a ton of time and hart ache. It also comes with step by step instructions on how to install it. It also comes with a technical sapport phone number if you get in a bind.
Wiyh a pipe, filter, and jet kit you will be moving alot faster than stalk.
By you asking on how to build a arester and changing main jets you could possibly be doing more harm than good.
Take your time and re group, thats a prety nice bike you have thier and if you take your time you will realy love it.
Go to dirt wheels site and look for a white brothers mojave. They have a pretty good article on how to twink up a mojave on a moddest budget!!!!

Old 10-13-2001, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

We installed the supertrapp ids2 on my buddy's 88 mojave. It makes a big diference low and mid throttle. It easily pulls wheelies all the way through 3rd gear. It is the quiet series with the spark arrestor. It is loud but not extremely loud. Gives it a nice tone and throaty sound. If you know anything about jetting a carb i believe that spending 80 bucks on a jet kit is a waste of money. That is just my opinion. They are worth the money if you don't feel like researching what everyone else is running or checking the spark plug. You probably won't even get the right jet in there to begin with anyway. It's just something you got to mess with to find that line between too rich and too lean. We put a 140 main jet in our carb. It runs fine and has a nice brown color to the plug. You should just buy some jets and start with 134,136,138,140, and 142 main jets. Most people sell the jets for around 2 bucks a piece. Then take the extra money you saved from not buying the jet kit and get a k&n filter. A clamp on filter straight to the carb has worked the best for us. You can't go through any water otherwise your day is over until you can clean and dry out the filter. It does seem to produce a little more power. Just remember like Gaff posted, if you don't feel comfortable doing jetting, changing pipes, etc. You could be doing more harm than good. Get a good book, ask us lots of questions, or just find someone that can show you exactly what to do the right way. You don't want to ruin your machine. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2001, 08:59 AM
Range Rover

The jet kits say they are only for the K&N filter and everything else stock-change the pipe and you have wasted the INSANE prices K&N/Dynojet are charging for jet kits. like MGM said-read your plug. It's easy to do and you save a lot of money-my time isn't free, but my money defintely isn't. Spend a little time and have some fun learning more about your bike-get a Clymer manual-it steps you thru changing jets and how to read plugs, as well as just about everything else you'll want to know.

Old 10-15-2001, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking into modifying my Mojave and had questions about the K&N or Dynojet kits. I was under the assumption that they were just selling stock jets and needles for a ridiculous price. After checking out their website there is more to their kits than simple jets http://www.dynojet.com/motorjet.shtml

For my machine I think I'm going to buy the Supertrapp IDS2 pipe, jet kit and a new foam filter, either Uni or No Toil. I'm not sure if No Toil makes a filter for the Mojave, still need to do some checking. Anyone know of a good price for an IDS2 pipe?

Old 10-15-2001, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

The IDS2 retails $239, at rocky mountain atv it's $199 (best deal)
As far as a jet kit,well I've been holding out on you because I didn't want to start crap.
You have what is called a constant vallocity carb. Wich means the slide works on vaccum from the cilinder not your regular machanical cable type.
The key to a cv carb is how quick you can move the slide open= throttle response=accelleration.
so in knowing this here is a little more: from 0-25% throttle is your air mixture screw, from 25-75% throttle it's your needle, from 75-100% it's your main jet.
Now in a mojave you get a new needle and a few main jets.
You install the needle and put the main jet in that fits you. (it will differ to elevation and mods: ie: pipe and air filter)
Now some kits come with a drill bit to drill this vaccum hole a little larger but the mojave doesn't require this.
Now I hier alot of poeple on here say buy the jets,well dynojet spends massive $$$$$$$ to tune the best kit for the best performance.
So what do you think of these mental giants who believe they have all the time in the world to play with jets and save them self $45, not to mention it should take thirty minutes.
You will also get very very spacific instructions and a 800 number for any problems you may have.
All dynojet kits are tuned with a K&N air filter, but use what you want I don't believe it will make a huge difference

Old 10-15-2001, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked up the Supertrapp IDS exhaust on their website.http://www.supertrapp.com/Motorcycle...v/atv_page.htm
It appears that it only consists of a slip on silencer and doesn't include the headpipe. Is that right?

Old 10-15-2001, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

yes you are correct.
I have a lakota and it includes the head pipe.
But don't be discouraged this means your stalk head pipe is free flowing enough that only the slip on is needed.
If you don't believe, look up other systems I'm almost sure you will find the same thing

Old 10-15-2001, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

Don't waste your money on the head pipe, I did and after a close inpection I found that it was the same diameter and same bends and length. Unless yours is dented or carboned up save your money.

Old 10-16-2001, 09:05 AM
Range Rover

Whoa there Gaff-"Mental Giant" here. It doesn't take "all the time in the world" to change out jets. Pretty simple once you do it. If you choose to spend that much, good for you-I'll use my money on other mods-not what someone who is not there to tune my bike gives me a choice of-I guess that does make me a "mental giant". Why did you feel the need to **** all over someone else opinion when that is what was asked for? Oh sorry this is Gaff's forum, forgot there for a second-I'll go back to drooling all over myself. Duuuuhhhhh.

Rockrider-The Supertrapp IDS2 for the Mojave DOES come with a new head pipe at no extra charge.

Quick Reply: 2001 mojave hop up questions