Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Belt Drive Failure/Recall???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After taking my dad's 650 to the dealer to have the belt switch fixed, the dealer concluded that Kawasaki may recall the 650's and put a bigger belt on them. They have recently began having these belt drive failure problems. The dealer ended up ordering a shim kit and used it to 'tighten' up the tension on the belt. They said the stock belts may be too small...

You know what I say...Bull sh*t. It's a load of crap. The dealer was explaining that the belts are too small and that it affects some machines. THEN WHY ISN"T IT HAPPENING TO A LOT MORE MACHINES! They are all manufactured the same exact way with the same parts and I would imagine that problems with the DRIVE BELT (other than the engine probably the single most important part of the quad to make it GO) would be a SERIOUS issue on all machines. My dad kinda babies his and I ride the crap out of mine...mine runs perfect and his trips the belt drive switch? I don't understand it...bought them both from the same place the same day.

I think Kawi should give orientation training and service classes to dealers, let them get familiar with the machine before unloading all kinds of BS to it's customers. I went in there and had to tell and show the service mechanic where the belt failure switch was. He also had absolutely no clue about adjusting the shifter linkage...this is such crap and am very disappointed in Kawi...but not the machine.

BTW...went head to head a few times from rolling starts this weekend w/ my friend on his 93 300EX. Stayed neck and neck all the way through even to top speed around 62 mph. He raced for years and rides the sh*t out of that EX...he went everywhere we went w/ our 650's, w/out 4 wheel drive...pretty impressive.

My 650 rocks although I wouldn't mind having some better tires. How does everyone feel about the Goodyear Mudrunners?

Parker

Old 10-16-2001, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, your dealer is clueless.
The 300ex must have been modified to keep up with you.
I will probably order the mudrunners today.
Does the 300ex have mudrunners, if not what tires did he have?
Thanks.

Old 10-16-2001, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

<< I think Kawi should give orientation training and service classes to dealers, let them get familiar with the machine before unloading all kinds of BS to it's customers. >>

I totally agree. Well said.

Old 10-16-2001, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

No...the 300EX had just some crummy nobbies. Riding was dry for the most part, he got stuck twice in 45 miles of riding. One of those spots my dads 650 got stuck too....

Where can you get mud runners online? what size mud runners can you put on the factory 650 rims? would like to go slightly bigger if I could....

Parker

Old 10-16-2001, 10:22 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Goodyear Mudrunners are an excellent tire. Give the Titan 589 MTs a look also before you buy tires.