Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mounted Goodyear Mudrunners on 650 today, I'M DISAPPOINTED !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001 | 08:39 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ordered 25" tires and mounted them. THEY ARE UNDER 24" TALL.
I lost over a 1/2 inch of clearance at the rear of the quad where I need it most. I measured using a level at the top of each tire and a measuring tape. Tires are at 7.5 lbs. of air. I moved the quad, rode the quad. Same. They are about 23 3/4" tall.
I will call tomorrow to see if they will take them back. Problem is it will cost me another $40 to unmount them and another $40 to send them back. Note to Goodyear. STOP MISREPRESENTING YOUR PRODUCT AND MAKE THE TIRE YOU ADVERTISE. It's one thing for Goodyear to call it a 25" tire, but it's even worse when they quote the "Overall Diameter" at 25.3" for rear and 25.0" for front. That's MISREPRESENTATION !!
Thanks. Goodyear web site says, 25.3" rear, and 25.0" front overall diameter. This is incorrect under ANY circumstances.
The quad looks stupid with 23 3/4" tires on it.

Old 10-23-2001 | 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

The height of a tire will often vary depending on the width of the rim. If you mounted the tires on wide rims, this will spread the tire out making it wider but often shorter. The opposite thing happens when the rim is narrow. Also, tire sizes do seem to vary more than a guy would think. Tires are the same as clothes, shoes, truck suspension lifts, you get the idea. Yep, it sucks.

Old 10-23-2001 | 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thats too bad about the tire hassle. I hear lotsa good reviews about that tire. I wanna try the 27x9-12 on the front and 27x12-12 on the rear, But according to goodyear, the rolling circle of the 26x12-12 is closer to that of the 27x9-12, plus, my wheel is only 10" wide and I hope the 12" wide tire fits. Anybody know?

I want these tires, but need to find a job before I can get em.

Old 10-23-2001 | 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Nyroc-
Yes, the 12" wide tire will fit your 10" wide rim. My stock AC rims are 6.5" wide, I'm running 27"x9.75 wide up front, and 27"x12 wide rears. Wheel diameter is the only thing you have to worry about, everything else will fit the stock rim, as long as you get the correct wheel diameter.

Jeff-
Sorry to hear you are so dissappointed. Most tires do measure smaller than stated heigth at recommended pressure. Rockrider was right though about the wheel width vs. tire heigth-how wide are your rims? Granted, you don't want to buy new rims, but still, that MIGHT be some of the problem??? That's one thing I love about the 'Claws-they are taller than claimed heigth at recommended psi-to date, they're the only tire I know of in fact that are.

Best of Luck guys,

mike

Old 10-24-2001 | 09:44 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for the response Cowboy,
Goodyear recommends a 6." rim for the front, and 8" in back. I'm right on for the front and a 1/2" off on the rear rim; not enough to make any difference.
It's one thing for Goodyear to call it a 25" tire, but it's even worse when they quote the "Overall Diameter" at 25.3" for rear and 25.0" for front. That's MISREPRESENTATION !!
Thanks.

Old 10-24-2001 | 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

jeffoxsr,

To find the exact height of the tire, take a tape measurer, and measure the circumference of the tire, and divide by 3.14. This will give you the diameter better than eyeballing it. You may have already measured this way. If goodyear won't take them back, or you want to avoid mounting/shipping charges, you might be able to search for threads concerning stretching tires. I've heard before of guys spraying something on the tires, airing them up to high pressures, and letting them get hot in the sun to increase their diameter. Just a thought.

Old 10-24-2001 | 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

hey jeffosxer sorry to here about your tires i went with the 27 that i talked about in another post and they are getting better and beter the more i learn to ride with them. dont be shy the 27 look like they should have come on the bike stock.

Old 10-24-2001 | 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

OK Jeff, I'm in total agreement with you at this point-that is REDICULOUS! If your rims were say 8" up front and 10" in the rear, or something bigger like that, I could understand them being a little shorter than claimed heigth (a lot shorter in this case), but as you're only 1/2" wider up front (6.5" wide), and 1/2" narrower in rear (7.5"?), or just the opposite for that matter, it whouldn't make any bit of noticeable difference in tire heigth. If you're interested, I measured mine the same way you did-using a level across the tire's peak point, then measuring to the bottom of the level. With my stock Titan 489's (claimed 25" tall), I got 24 1/8" maximum heigth at maximum recommended pressure. Naturally this dropped with minimum pressure. With the 'Claws, using this same method exactly, I got 27 1/4" at minimum pressure (claimed 27" heigth)-a much better result! I know Boner has aired these things up to almost 29" before, but I think that took something like 25 lbs. of air??? I'm sure the ride was pretty rough from that "hard" of tire pressure, but maybe you could air them up a bit more to gain a little more clearance? Again, you'd loose ride comfort and be forced to take the tire to limits it's not recommended for, but again at the expense of false advertising and misrepresentation. 23 3/4" seems REALLY low in my book for a 25" size.

It's been a while since I had any math classes, but I think Walexa is right-the diameter is circumference divided by "pi", or 3.14. That would give you the true diameter, but again, I don't see how this would be much different than measuring using a level-at least not a full 1 1/4" difference anyway??? He's got me interested now in trying that with the 'Claws to see what that measuring method comes out too. Oh-is 7.5 lbs the recommended pressure? The stock 489's suggested 3 min and 5 or 5.5 max, with the 'Claws something like a 7 max if I remember right??? Was just curious if you're already using more pressure than recommended to get the 23 3/4" heigth-if so, I would truly be disgusted myself.

At any rate, Best of Luck with the dismount and return. I don't see why they won't return them if you haven't put many miles on them yet. Hell, even the car tire guys will buy the tire back from you, based on how many miles you've driven on them, then adjust accordingly for tread wear if you are unhappy with them. I would assume atv tires to do the same???

Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 10-24-2001 | 12:19 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks Walexa and Cowboy,
I measured the circumerence with the tires at 7.5 lbs. on the quad without a rider. It's basically identical to what's reported on the Goodyear web site. Would you believe this? If you make the calculation it comes out to 23.8" for the front and 23.2" for the back. Goodyear was honest with the "rolling circle" measurement and just decided they would save money on the cost of rubber and make "Material Misrepresentations" to the public. So in all instances it's confirmed that these tires are at least 1 1/4" off in the front and 1 1/2" off in the rear.
Thanks for all the help and support guys.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2001 | 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

cowboy,

pi*d=circ.......just divide both sides by pi to get d by itself. Had enough math to never forget simple ones like that. It probably won't differ much from the other ways of measuring, but it is very simple to do alone, and very accurate.

Quick Reply: Mounted Goodyear Mudrunners on 650 today, I'M DISAPPOINTED !!!