Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

mojave vs lakota

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on your riding style!
The mojave has to be kept at high rpm's, and deffinately excells in open area.
The lakota works best in low rpm's, and excells in the trails, were it's much higher tourque numbers will make you see why coy everage likes the lakota over the mojave.
This is turning into a mojave vs lakota thread!
If you ask me both are good, and the prices are graet!

As far as mods, you may have to look for mods harder on the lakota but thier out thier!

Whats important here is this guy is setting us up with another riding partner, personaly I say get the quad you feel is good and then let him come out and play!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2001, 08:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]I do agree that mods are hard to find, but how many do you need, be serious if you want to mod it to the point of insanity but a 660 raptor. I agree with Gaff both are awsome.. As for the horsepower If I recall corectly you are correct, I will let you know.

Old 11-09-2001, 08:47 AM
Range Rover

This is why I left my answer very short the 1st go around. We can go back and forth all day long on the good qualities of both bikes-I personally would choose the Mojave-like I did-after researching everthing I could find on most quads out there. It fit what I wanted to do better, and it was cheap compared to the others. I have to agree that the auto clutch on the Lakota would be much easier to operate on tight trails where you shift a lot, but you do get used to the clutch and I would not give it up-I do a little trail riding and I don't have any problems.
As far as the cc arguement goes-it just doesn't apply here-rockrider is right-HP is where it is at.
Races are won by riders, not by quads-a good rider will spank a bad rider no matter what 2 quads are being run-it's just a little easier it you have some HP on tap.
That said fmart, I personally think you and your son will be happier with the Mojave if the goal is to keep up with 300ex's.

Old 11-09-2001, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

The biggest variable here is riding style. The Mojave would be the better choice for agrresive riding and will easily beat the 250 Honda and will ATLEAST run as fast as the 300 EX. The Lakota with it's electric start and plusher ride will be more rewarding for slower trail riding. Ergonomics are nearly the same so comfort shouldn't be a factor. My only complaint on my Mojave is the headlight. I think a candle strapped to my head would work just as good, even if it blows out. Ok maybe it's not that bad, but it is bad. Now for me personally I like to ride at night, luckily I have the TrailBoss for the low speed night riding. With all of that said and whats already been said I guess the bottom line is it can be a tough decision. I'm sure he'll enjoy either one, he just stands a better chance beating the two quads you mentioned on the Mojave. Also, I don't know how big your son is, but he might want to make sure the Kickstarter is not a problem for him. I know my 12 year old nephew who only weighs about 90lbs has a heck of time starting mine.

Old 11-09-2001, 06:41 PM
Range Rover

CoyEverage:

I too own both quads, a 99 mojave and 01 Lakota so here is my input. The Mojave is better no question about it. Don't get me wrong the Lakota is a great quad but the Mojave is still better. You were saying the the Mojave is 65lbs lighter and that is not that much, well it isn't but neither is 40cc more. The Mojave and Lakota have about the same top speed so what good did that 40cc do. The lakota is an auto clutch, that right there makes it slower. The Mojave has a way better engine, because it is a 4 valve, double overhead cam. The Mojave's power is alot snappier and gets the power to the ground better, it's also a lot more nimble in the woods or tight trails. I'm not trying to say the Lakota sucks because it doesn't that why I have one. I hear a lot of people cry about the kick start but it is not hard to start at all, the electric is a lot easier on the trail but don't make it look like it is impossiable to start the Mojave.
So if your looking for a lighter, snappier, faster quad, with more mods and a clutch go with the Mojave!

Peace out!

Old 11-09-2001, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guy's we ended up going with the Mojave. We traded the scrambler in for it. I made him pay the diffence. That way he shows it some respect (RIGHT). The boy has already stood it on its butt.

Old 11-09-2001, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right on! Do a search in this forum on the Mojave and you will find lots of good info on hop ups, set up, etc.

Old 11-09-2001, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]Nice Idea making him pay the diff. I'm sure he will enjoy almost as much as you haha. Good luck with it, now let the fun begin.

<< Ride hard....You Can Fix it.. >>