Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

mojave vs lakota

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which of the 2 quads is faster, handels better and that type of stuff. Looking to get my son one, he is 14. He rides with a couple Hondas 250 and 300ex's so he needs something that will keep up with them. The kawasaki's is in his price range.

Old 11-05-2001, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

Mojave.

Old 11-05-2001, 10:40 PM
The Facility

As far as speed goes, the Mojave would defenitly be the choice over the Lakota. As far as handling, the Mojave and Lakota share the smae frame and handling is very close. The Lakota has a slightly longer swingarm and weighs more, giving the Mojave the edge.

If trails is most likely where his machine will end up, it makes the choice a little harder. The manual clutch in the Mojave is handy on the trail but so is an auto clutch. The kickstarter on the Mojave is easy to use and easy to crank, not to mention lighter than the starter on the Lakota, but the starter is easy and there when you need it.

One other thing to keep in mind is that if he plans to keep this machine a while, eventually he will want more power. With Lakota parts being very few the Mojave is the clear winner, but it would be better if he knew someone who owned these machines so he could compare them himself.

Hope this helps. KNOWSALOT.

Old 11-05-2001, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

OK,
This is just my opinion. I own a 2001 Lakota Sport and ride with 3 friends who each own Mojaves (94-95). I have riden both machines in trails, flat out spaces and tracks. I believe that with both machines being stock, the Mojave is a bit quicker due to it being 60lb lighter. The Mojave has a nice moter, 4 valve liquid cooled, but the Lakota's air cooled 290cc engine has more torque. With a few modifications, the Lakota will keep up or outrun a Mojave. I know from riding both machines, the Lakota handles better. It has a slightly longer wheelbase and a better suspension than the Mojave (the Mojave suspension dates back to the early 90's). Don't get me wrong, I think the Mojaves are great machines, especially at $4,000, but I prefer the Lakota. I am also 6'2" and 190lb and can handle the extra weight of the Lakota fine. A 14 yr old may have a little trouble with it on hard trails. Well, to each his own. It really depends on how and where you ride. They are both great machines for the price.
Lakota300

Old 11-05-2001, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

lakota300cr, the majave and lakota have the exact same shocks on them there is no diffrence in suspension

Old 11-06-2001, 12:56 AM
The Facility

No lakota300r is correct.

Both the front and rear shocks on the Lakota have different spring rates than the Mojave to compensate for the extra weight.

Old 11-06-2001, 05:21 AM
Pro Rider

The mojave has more power in the upper rpm and the lakota has more in the lower rpm.
The mojave has quicker accelleration and two mph faster.
Now thats stalk, were I didn't think much of the lakota.
Modded is a different story.

He will want the mojave just for the clutch

Old 11-08-2001, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of riding does your son want to do? Slow or fast? The Mojave is an excellent sport quad for the price and will be a lot more fun to ride fast, wheelie, jump, slide, etc. The Lakota is easier to ride and can do all the things the Mojave can but just not as well or as quickly. The Lakota's biggest flaw is it's weight. It is way too heavy. I'd rather buy a 250EX over the Lakota simply because it weighs close to 100lbs less and is also less expensive.

The 250EX has shaft drive which is nice, since it cuts down on maintenance but then it also limits you to the stock gearing. That isn't a good thing if you decide to mount bigger tires or want more speed. The 250EX also has a rear drum, not a good as the Lakota's full disc brakes.

If it was me I'd get the Mojave. It is by far the best deal on a sport quad presently available.

Old 11-08-2001, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THAT. THE MOJAVE IS ABOUT 65 lbs LIGHTER AND THAT IS NOT THAT MUCH IF YOU CONSIDER THE FACT THAT IT HAS 40 CC MORE TO PLAY WITH. i HAVE RIDDEN MOJAVE'S AND LAKOTA'S, EX'S ETC. THEY ARE ALL GREAT QUADS. BUT, I READ IT CONSTANTLY HERE IN THIS FORUM. MOST OF THE TIME IF SOMEONE DOWNS ONE ATV AND RECOMENDS ANOTHER THEY JUST HAPPEN TO OWN THAT TYPE. WELL I OWN BOTH AND I AM HERE TO TELL YOU THAT MY LAKOTA IS MUCH MORE FUN TO RIDE. ONCE I PUT THAT 13T ON THERE AND THEN THE JET KIT IT WAS ALL OVER. THE MOJAVE IS NOW THE WIFES QUAD.I NEED THAT ADDITIONAL 40CC'S IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I WEIGH APPROX 175 LBS DO THE MATH. IF I WEIGH 170 AND THE MOJAVE IS A 250 . 250 /175 = 1.4 LBS PER CC NOW DO IT FOR THE LAKOTA 300/175=1.7 CC PER POUND NOW THATS ONLY .3 CC PER POND IT'S NOT MUCH UNTIL YOU X THAT BY 175. OF COURSE THE LIGHTER THE RIDER THE BIGGER THE DIFFERENCE. IF HE IS BUYING FOR HIS KID DEPENDING ON HOW BIG THE KID IS . i LOVE THE MOJAVE IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED, BUT NOW THAT THE LAKOTA HAS THE MODS THE TWO AREN'T COMPARABLE TO ME. AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO OWN LAKOTAS AND HAVEN'T BEEN LISTENING TO GAFF--------BUY THE 13T. JUST LIKE I WAS SAYING BEFORE , THIS IS JUST MY OPINION, I'M NOT SAYING ANYONE IS WRONG , I JUST DISAGREE.

Old 11-09-2001, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AHH, OKAY. I decided to do the math and found some variables you left out like HORSEPOWER and MODDING BOTH MACHINES EQUALLY. The Mojo is listed at 25hp@8000 RPM probably measured at the crank or maybe the countershaft sprocket. Who knows? It really doesn't matter. The Lakota's HP figures are not listed on BuyKawasaki.com so let's say it also has 25hp (it doesn't, it has less) but for comparisons sake, 25HP. Now since your weight to cc comparison is meaningless why dont we do weight to HP.

The Mojo is 379lbs at 25HP this is 15.16lbs per HP. The Lakota is 444lbs (your figure 379lbs + 65lbs) at 25HP this is 17.76lbs per HP. Huh, that doesn't seem as good as the Mojo. Now if we mod out both machines equally the Mojo comes out on top because the motor is more advanced and more improtantly it already started out with more power. Therefore it will only gain more power as long as each mod that is done is the same on both machines.

I wouldn't fret too much over the Lakota, you will run out of possible mods long before you do with the Mojave.

Now, as long as the guy's kid can chew gum and walk at the same time, I don't think he will have too hard of a time mastering how to use a clutch. Just think how fast his light body will be on the superior Mojave!

Quick Reply: mojave vs lakota