Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Carb change out for Lakota.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]I have a question about putting a mojave carb on a Lakota, what all will need to be done.Will it be worth it. Let me explain ,I'm an OMC mechanic and I was remembering mack in the late 90's the evinrude 25hp and 35hp outboards the only diff. was the carb. a carb can make a huge diff. I was wondering if anyone has any input? Coy

Old 11-09-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Coy,

A step up in carb will maybe inhance your top end, but the bottom would probably suffer darely.
The lakotas bottom is were it all is.
If you get the pipe and the filter you will have what you are looking for.
I'm looking into a high comp. piston or the 322 big bore kit. I'm trying a little of the same thing but I want cams!
I want some more bottom end first.

I've read some fst input, even with big bore kits he suggest the stalk carb size to get the most out of your bottom end.
He also added, when you enlarge your carb size the power range moves up with it.

Now grant you the lakota has no real top end. I find, now that I have the pipe you have to short shift it to stay in the power range.
The lakota is very hard to get use to the rev to power limits expecialy with the stalk pipe. With the IDS2 you can hier when you are out revving the power

Old 11-10-2001, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Gaff, I have a question about clutches, mine is slipping really bad now. I have adjusted it , I removed the cover and inspected it. The plates are fine, But the other clutch, the one with the weights is blued really bad. Do I replace the whole thing or just the weights? it won't grab when shifting around third or fourth.

Old 11-10-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't looked at the clutch yet!
I have strugled many times on how to adjust it though.
I screw it all the way in and then when I screw it out, just when I feel a little resistance I stop.
This has worked graet so far.

What kind of oil are you running.
My friend (who has a bayou 4x4) and I bouth came up with that a 20w-50 works best on clutches.

The blue is deffinately slippage!
I also let my quad warm up completely before getting on it hard. You know how it slips when it's cold.

I'm also very interested in how much power my clutch can take before it goes!
I hope you can get it by adjustment, but deffinately change the oil and filter to get any in-purrities out!
If all else fails, put a hole new clutch in!
Also in drag racing we add an extra clutch and steel plate for better grip.

I would say soon I will have to look into stronger clutch springs, maybe you do to!