Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone noticed a clunking noise coming from the drivetrain when either on, off, and back on the gas at slow speeds (10-15 mph or less) or when driving over really rough terrain at slow speeds when you are being tossed forward and backward loading and unload the drivetrain? It sounds similar to a loose ring and pinion. I thought I saw some posts on this before I purchased mine but cant find them.

Old 11-26-2001, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

I hear knocking from gear box on left side when I hit back brake hard.
How about you
Does the front end feel soft to you .Feels like I can flip it over.
Was thinking of putting 26 inch mt 589 or mudrunner.
Do you know anything about different tires
Dont like stock tires

Old 11-27-2001, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

check with jefffoxsr. he knows alot about the 650.you should be able to find on one of the threads.

Old 11-27-2001, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, this has been discussed. Someone took theirs to a good dealer mechanic. They called kawasaki, who said it was just gear play and was normal.

I was all in a huff about my "clunking sound" until then. But now, I just ignore it.

Anyway, there are other sounds that a poorly adjusted engine brake would make, or a poorly adjusted shift linkage. Knowing that your noise is the normal noise could be a little tricky for some people, espcially when all you get from this forum is words from others tryng to describe this sound.

I don't think that what Tampavii described is normal, I hope his ride is ok.

Anyway, mine makes the little clunk you descibe, even when the machine is off and in gear and I rock it back and forth. It seems to come from the righ side of the quad, right in front of the universal joint boot (forward and revers gears plus a bevel set are in there). I guess not to worry. Other people have said their front left strut makes a little tiny squeal (only hear it if quiet). Mine does too, but it is not busted, it just makes a sound.

I just ordered tires! Don't worry, I will post all about them until people are sick of reading my posts. I will take shots with the digital camera, too. Guess I'll be driving in low range a bit more with the 28" tires.

Old 11-27-2001, 03:20 PM
Range Rover

A small click is normal!! Clunking or ratchiting is not!! I took mine to dealer shifter has to be adjusted with feeler gauge. So if its loud needs adjusted if small click your cool.

Old 11-27-2001, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

I just realized I stated that it was coming from left side but its coming from right side drive train. Just makes chunking sound when back I hit back brake hard.
trailblazer were do you ride upstate.

below is link to picture on my ATV after buried it in 3 ft of clay.
took me 5 hrs to clean it.more time to clean then riding it.
I used Boeshield T -9 waterproof spray to finish cleanup.made plastic shin like new .I had clay everywhere .WOW what a mess. Will be staying way from this pit.

http://www.tampavii.com/DirtyKawasaki650.jpg
http://www.tampavii.com/DirtyKawasaki6501.jpg
http://www.tampavii.com/DirtyKawasaki6502.jpg

trailblazer were do you ride upstate NY .So when are you putting on the 28 inch.What kind of tires .I am thinking of pitting mudrunner 26 inch
HAd my ride up to 60 mph today of pavement might of had few more but ran out of pavement.
hopefully they will come put with harder stocks for front end.
let it snow ordered V plow blade.
Does anyone had warn 2500 winch were do you mount the switch and 6ft cord layout
GB

Old 11-27-2001, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I mounted the switch inside the plastic handlebar cover.

See http://home.rochester.rr.com/yalsprus/winchbutton.jpg

I got the 2500lb kit with the remote handheld switch. I like where I put the switch better.

I put the relay under the right rear fender, mounted to the aluminum fender support. I could not find a place I liked better. I am quite stisfied with it there, since it was so easy, I can get to it relatively easy, and the tire does not hit it. There is plenty of wire for this in the 2500 kit.