Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,
Well the Lakota is running just awesome ! The supertrapp, twin air filter, jet kit and 13t are a great combo. I now have no problem keeping up with my 3 riding buddies who all ride Mojaves. The only problem is the weight. The Lakota is abot 60lbs heavier than the Mojave, so even with the extra ponies, the stock Mojave is still a good match. The mountain trails here provide excellent race runs up and down hill. I am very pleased with the performance of my slightly modified Lakota. OK, here is the problem.
Two of my buddies tried using synthetic oil to improve lubrication and performance in thier Mojaves. They both ride 94 models. After about an hour of riding, they started burning oil and thick smoke came out the exhaust riding uphill. We checked them out and it turns out there is oil entering the rear airbox via the crankcase vent hose. We drained quite a bit of oil out of the airbox through the stock drain. Is there a problem with the motor,or is the synthetic oil just a little to slippery for the older engines. The motors run great and have plenty of power, so I think the cylinder and rings are fine. Anyone else with a Mojave have this problem. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.
Lakota300

Old 12-11-2001, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

300cr,
I remember a graet debate about this issue.
As you know any over filling will go straight to the air box.
Generaly synthetics run lower in wieght than conventional, meaning it will get much thinner, meaning it can move faster.
I remember the graet debate was about when they were doing wheelies they felt because of the location of the crank case vent oil was easily moving from the gear box to the filter box.
One thing I feel would be a good little add on would be a 1 psi check valve, but I would tend to use a set up such like the honda XR's do, were they use a crank case breather but relocate it higher like under the seat then come out of it and down to the air box.
Or just extend the hose say down the frame some then back to the air box. exstend it to 16 or 24" so the oil doesn't just go straight to the air box, but free enough not to develope crank case psi

The mojave is a higher revving machine and I believe if we can get our power range to move more up the rpm scale they would be toast.

Old 12-11-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

My 93 did the same thing.Come to find out it needed rings&valve seals.hope it helped

Old 12-24-2001, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 01 Mojave Also fills up the overflow tube.At 30 hours I changed to synthetic oil(mobil-1 motorcycle oil 10-40).It filled up the oil tube on the bottom of the air box within a very short time(30-45 min.I immideatly changed back to dino oil and the problem stopped.I continued to use the dino oil until my last oil change(I now have 150+hours on the bike)I put in "redline 10-40" syn oil.It filled up the tube again!I also tried syn oil in my pickup and it all ended up in the aircleaner.Maybe it's a syn oil thing?

Old 12-24-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

HAY 300CR, WERE ARE YOU!!!

Well I did some checking into this and just forgot to reply.

Well I remember this brought up before and the rute cause to be believed it was the location of the crank case briether hose. I don't have a mojave so I went down to the dealer checked thiers out, yah it's not the best location, but thiers more.
I still found it hard to believe so I went out to the lakota pulled the oil fill cap and started the bike, I had all my stuff to measure how much preasure and dam, it felt like a compression stroke with the spark plug out of the head, I emiediatly called the dealer and told him, he said this was normal, sooo I said well do the same thing to the mo and tell me what you get, same thing.

He gave me this long drawn out reason why it was so stupid I can't remember what he said, but the moral to this story is that thier is a ton of crank case pressure to these two little kawis and if your wheelieing the mo you will pump the oil out of the crank case.
Thiers two things you could do here to slow or stop this, like I first said get a longer tube and rout it or go buy a crank case breather filter for a honda XR (any size I think thier all the same) it will insert inline of that hose and has a filter that would minimize flow back.
About the synthetics, thier a lighter quicker moving oil is why the problem is pronounced.

Wish you all the best of luck!!