Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Talked with dynojet about lakota's

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hay guys,
I e-mailed dynojet about the kit not performing as well as when you stick the stock needle back in.
I spoke with a manager on the phone as per his request in his e-mail.
He had told me that the dynojet needle is a much more aggressive needle and all we are doing is creating a lean spot.
He says to go further down on our mains to a #130, exspecialy if we have quiet core IDS2 pipes.
He says you may not think the main will affect the mid range but it will.
He said they have found that they need to go down on mains with the IDS2, but says it's a good pipe.He also claims to keep going down until adjusting the needle makes a difference.

Now this is what he told me, and of course I'm off-shore so I'll have to wait untill thursday to try this and of course a hole other day of testing.
Well just when I had it figured out, back to the drawing board!!
He also told me to keep him posted as he has no other complaints with this kit.

Old 12-11-2001, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

I've been wondering if I should drop my main jet again too. My plug is still black. I took it into my local dealership, they looked at it and said "yeah, you're a little rich, but close enough I wouldn't do anything else". My plug is black. I have been thinking that if I drop my main jet again that I would be losing power since I'm not getting as much fuel in. Maybe I should try it though.

Old 12-11-2001, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

you actuly loose power with more fuel than you need.
The stock needle runs way better than the dynojet, and he tells me that the dynojet needle and a smaller main will run better than that.
The only thing that gets me is why so high of jet sizes, are the other pipes that much free flowing than the IDS2.

Old 12-11-2001, 03:27 PM
Trailblazer

Gaff,

I got the parts in for the Lakota today. SuperTrapp IDS2, 13T Front Sprocket, Douglas .190 aluminum rims and a set of GCB Dirt Devils for the rear. The K&N power kit hasn't made it yet. It should be here tommorrow or the next day. Do you know what size jets are included in the K&N kit for the Lakota?

I got the Dirt Devils so that you guys that live in the land of mud (Louisiana) won't be waiting on me to catch up. If they work as well as they look, I should be OK.

Seems like you had it all figured out with the jetting and they changed the game on you. Be sure to let me know what you wind up with as a final setup. I'm going to stick with the 134 for now.

I talked with my brother in law and he said that the riding location is just a large field with some ponds and a canal. I hope I didn't get your hopes up to much. Do you know of a better place in the general vinicinty of Lake Charles? He did assure me that we would not have a problem finding plenty of riding in the mud.

Shrimp or crawfish would be great. My sis should have both but feel free to bring em on.

I'm still recouping from the ride at Cycle Ranch last week, I think I will heal...maybe...I think. I found out I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

See ya in a few weeks.

Best Regards
Dale Little

Old 12-11-2001, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

#126, #130, #134, and #138 are the jets suplied.

I would stick with the #134 with the stalk needle, I know this combo works awsome.
I'm not real sure about the #130 with the dynojet needle, I have to try it first.
I have no doubt in dynojet, but if you sell a kit and recomend the # 138 main with our set up and then come to find what I have been finding, and then confront them about it.
A #130 main with thier needle is a far cry from what they originally said the set up would be, but once again, I have no reason to doubt them.
If the difference are atleast the same charateristics as the #134 main and the stalk needle, off to the dyno we will go!!!!!

Old 12-11-2001, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

Gaff,
Thanks for the info. But to be honest, I do not think I am running rich. My plug is tan with the #134 jet and running great. I do not have any hesitation and do not believe I am creating a lean spot with the stock needle. I would think I would get a hesitation if so. Anyway, I would like to know your results if you try lowering the main and using the Dynojet needle.
Lakota300

Old 12-11-2001, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Don't worry 300cr, I'm not biting.
He just faxxed me the dyno sheet per my request, and it's a 99 300 bayou, 14 hp stock, 14.6 I guess its with the kit, no explanation.
Well stebob that kicks the 13.8 in the a$$ I would think.
I'm going to do what he wants take notes and then head to a dyno and show him the results.
The combo you have provided us works far better than what they've come up with thus far.
In louisiana we have a saying for this, it's called "crawfishing" In other wards trying to back out without getting hurt!!!

Old 12-11-2001, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

hmmmmm.....

Well I know I'm running a 134, 10 disks, can't remember needle location and my plug is black. The quad runs great. Dynojet and Supetrapp both told me you can go by plug color due to all the additives in todays gas. I adv them how it runs, no hesitations anywhere, no cutting out at full throttle. I just don't know!!!!

Old 12-11-2001, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

I had thought the same as you stebob, except, while trying to learn how to launch the quad one day I noticed it didn't recover to well.
I know this sounds small patatos but I wanted to know why it didn't snap rite back in to the throtle.
So you know about me going back to the 12T sprocket and all, I was trying different idle adjustments, different needle hieghts, then lakota300cr told me about the stock needle deal.
So I'm pretty open minded, I tried it, every thing I was looking for in 15 minutes it was done.
Much improvement over what I had.
If it is what we think as far as bottom and mid-range gains, why don't you donate 15 minutes to your quad.
Now don't get me wrong I'm just as open minded to dynojets thery as well, and soon as I get home I'll put it to work!

Old 12-13-2001, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

agreed Gaff. I will also do a little more tuning and testing. I did mean to state earlier that Dyno Jet and Supertrapp told me that you CAN'T go by the color of the plug. What is your take on that. I have always agreed that the color of the plug is important, but they said it is not accurate. They claim that all the additives in today's fuel will make the plug readings inaccurate. I hope your not taking me as arguing with you. That's not it at all! I am wondering what you think about some of the information that has been told to me.

Quick Reply: Talked with dynojet about lakota's