Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2001 Mojave gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anybody else have a Mojave that will only use part of the gas before it runs out?The tank holds 2.2 gallons.My bike uses 1.2 gallons with the valve "on", my "reserve" is abour 2 cups!The dealer says it is because of the shape of the tank,Told me to tip the bike to the left to get it to use the leftover gas.This works till I turn left and it goes to the right side of the tank and I run out again.

This is a problem as I usually ride 50 miles or so a day and I must carry gas with me.This is a pain and unsafe.

My 2-stroke atc 250r goes farther on a tank of gas than my 4-stroke Mojave and they both hold 2.2 gallons.Grrrrr

Old 12-24-2001, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have delt with this problem many times.
First go back to the dealer and tell him this isn't the 70s and we don't use the split metal tanks anymore!!!!!
Remove the on/off/reserve valve from your gas tank.
You will find thier is two verticle toobs that are screens, one higher than the other. These are very fine mesh screens and get clogged exspecialy the reserve one, clean them put them back in and problem solved!!!!!
Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2001, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Actully I have done that already.They were clean.Grrrr... Thanks for the input though.I'm thinkin that the tank was molded weird/wrong and I havn't found any aftermarket tanks for it.

Old 12-25-2001, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

The only time I really run into this problem is when we are racing on our circle tracks where we only make left hand turns. When I get below 1/2 tank I actually have to put it on reserve to keep it from cutting out/stalling in the corners. It is a **** poor design of the tank itself the way it wraps around the frame. I have not had any problems just trail riding however. I can run mine down till it's empty unless like I said, we are racing. I would recommend just flipping it to reserve when ever you get below 1/2 tank. You should be able to get at least 50-60 miles out of a tank.

Old 12-25-2001, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Mine must be a real bad one.I can fill the tank up.remove the fuel line,turn the gas "on".Run the hose into a 1-gal gas can,It will fill up the 1-gal and a 1 qt container,put it on reserve and I get 2 cups(16 oz) more.Now I can stick a hose in the tank and siphon almost another gallon out,gas that never would have got to the carb.I can't get 50 miles with this problem,I have a 2 litre 7-up bottle straped to the bike full of gas that my friends call "the bomb".

I know it's not very safe,but theres no gas stations that I can ride to w/o fear of the cops bustin me for driving into town and impounding me and the bike if they catch me.

Old 12-25-2001, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds like the tubes in your tank are sticking up too far or something. It should almost suck the tank bone dry. Like I said before it is normall for them to start cutting out when you make hard left turns below 1/2 tank unless you're on reserve. Sounds too like you need another dealer.

Old 12-25-2001, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

Try removing the reserve screen/tube all together and install a inline fuel filter.
The mistake would more likely be in the valve than in the fuel tank.
The tanks are injection molded tanks and are very unlikely to be different from one another.
This is a problem that is probably easy and we are all over looking it!!

Old 12-25-2001, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

Heres what I did.I drained the tank through the fuel valve on "reserve".Then I removed the valve from the tank.The filters are still clean and the reserve one is where it should be,right on the bottom.I then siphoned almost a gallon of gas out of the tank through the filler,with the valve still removed.The gas just ain't getting to where it needs to be.

Ocasionally I see a Mojave on e-bay being parted out.Are all years the same?I may buy a tank on e-bay(cheap)and see if a new/used tank fixes my problem.

Old 12-25-2001, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

wow, that is wierd.
Well far as I know only the color has changed.
Hope you have some kind of luck!!

Old 12-26-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I have the same problem. My tanks looked half full, so I took out my Mojave for a ride down the street. After I hit 5th I was on the gas hard for maybe 3 seconds and it started to sputter, I let off and downshifted. Then I did it again and the same thing happened!! I flipped it to reserve and the problem went away. I then filled the tank back up. With the winter here I want to be able to ride all day w/o having to fill up the tank a thousand times. I never checked the fuel screens, would this make a difference?? Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Quick Reply: 2001 Mojave gas tank