Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

2001 Mojave gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The next time you run out of gas,measure how much you put in to fill it.You should be able to get almost 2 gallons in if your on reserve.The only time I can get 2 gallons in mine is if I siphon the tank empty.Lemme know how much if you can.

To remove your valve you need to drain the tank.And with a 10mm socket/extension/rachet remove the 2 bolts that hold it to the tank.It will pull down so you can see/clean the screen.Theres an "o" ring where it seals against the tank,make sure it seals up after you put it back on.It is a dealer only part.The bolts dont need to be very tight since the nuts in the tank are molded into the plastic.

My bike is only 5 months old and my warranty runs out next month.I hope I can get my problem figured out before it starts costing me money to fix it.It's been this way since new.

Old 12-26-2001, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what to tell you. You have been getting good advice and if it hasn't solved your problem you either didn't follow it correctly or are doing something else wrong. Are you sure you are positioning your fuel switch in the correct position? I just have a hard time believing that your tank is somehow defective.

I have not been experiencing this problem with my Mojave. To double check your tank size just drain it and see if you can put in as much gas as what it is rated for in capacity.

Old 12-26-2001, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

It's gotta be the tank.I can siphon it dry through the filler.Measuer 2.2 gallons of gas .Fill it full to the top.Then drain it into a container through the gas valve including reserve,it wont put 2.2 gallons back into my container ,only 1.3 or so.I can now remove the petcock from the tank it's self,and no gas runs out.But I can siphon almost a gallon out.I have ran out of gas with it "on", switched to reserve and rode to a gas station.It only takes 1.3 gallons to fill it.It has to be a defective tank.

Old 12-26-2001, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is just weird. Unless there is some residual plastic left over from the manufacturing process that is preventing gas from getting to the petcock I don't know what else it could be. The shape of the tank has to be okay because it holds 2.2 gals just like it is supposed to. I can see some of the gas not getting to the petcock because the tank straddles the frame (if I remember correctly) but I don't believe that it could hold almost a gallon. Take it back to the dealer since you are still under warranty and have them figure it out.

One more thing, are you sure your tank vent line is not plugged? That could account for the lack of fuel with the petcock in the tank. However it sounds like you removed your petcock and gas still didn't come out so maybe that is not it.

Old 12-26-2001, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you put it on reserve and drained it and still had almost a gallon left in the tank then it has to be a bad tank. They are a molded plastic tank and the only thing that makes sense is that your tank has a blockage in the middle where they are molded together which is keeping the gas from running from the right side to the left. Any thing is possable. I would ask your dealer for Kawasaki's customer service number if they ask why then tell them because they aren't helping you out. Explain your condition to the customer service rep and I would think they will be happy to replace your tank. The least your dealer should do is remove the tank and check it out and not just say "tip the bike".

Old 12-26-2001, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have removed the gas cap with no change.I told the dealer where I bought it about the problem when I took it in for it's 10 hour service(which they skimped on).They gave me Kawasaki's warranty number.They basically said that if it held gas they would not warranty it.I have tried several times with no help,so I guess im gonna have to deal with it myself.I contacted a couple of aftermarket tank manufacturrers (clark was one,fergot the name of the other)and none have plans to offer an aftermarket tank.

Does any other bike use the same tank?Lakota? Like I posted earlier I may start looking at e-bay for a used (cheap) tank and see if it fixes my problem.

I do want to thank everyone that has given their input,this is a great website.......anybody got a spare tank? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2001, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have one more thing for you to check.
Remove the front plastic, remove all the green, you will see the gas tank is black and comes out of the green shell.
Mont the gas tank on the frame and stick the three bolts back in, pay particular attention on how the back monting bolt fastens, this may be incorrectly installed wich will lift the back of the tank.

The lakota and mojave have the same gas tanks kawi PN# 51001-1482

It does not matter what it looks like because of the green shell, only the gas cap shows.

Old 12-26-2001, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I am planning on adjusting the valves again.I'll pay real close attention to the gas tank bolts when I do.thx

Old 12-26-2001, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey! I got on the Kawasaki webpage.Theres a link to part numbers.It shows 96'-02 use the same tank,so theres my answer.