Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

i need a 2stroke genius please..tecate trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im new to the whole 2 stroke thing i have had 4 strokes for the all my riding life and now i just got a 2 stroke and i dont know anything about them. this is my problem

i was riding my tecate and i look and my right foot and i saw oil on the frame right under the front of the motor..alittle bit not alot. but i hadnt noticed it there before. so i took it home and im pretty sure the hose is busted the hooks to the impeller. i think thats what it is. so i loosened the whose and water shot out. so im confused. any ideas about y it would be leaking oil from that part of the motor would really help..and if anyone has any mags or web pages about how a two stroke motor works, i would be very appreciative to see them. thanks

Old 12-31-2001, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure about the tecate, but on the blasters thats were the tranny oil over flow is, and most two strokes dump any fluid over flow instead of piping it to the air filter like a four stroke.

Old 12-31-2001, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like its unused 2-stroke oil (gas mix) it comes out at the pipe when its not sealed properly. I would say its kinda normal from being rich.

Old 12-31-2001, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

OK Nemisis, take a deep breath, relax, NO PANICKING!! First of all, of course water is going to shoot out if you loosen that hose. It's part of the cooling system! The water pump is under that little cover that the hose hooks to. Secondly, there is no "tranny overflow" at the front of the motor. It's actually just behind the kickstarter as you're looking at the right side of the bike. Here's a few possibilities: 1)look to see if there's a large amount of mung or spoo (technical terms for greasy, oily exhaust gunk) dribbling from around the pipe where it goes into the cylinder. If there is, you need a new seal and O-rings on the pipe. 2)Look for any oil seepage from the seam where the case halves split. (I've got an '88 that's in fantastic shape, except for a little drooling from the cases. Needs new gaskets.) Of course, if you're getting seepage from the forward part of the motor, then it would probably be running funny, too. There shouldn't be any oil in the crankcase, except for what is in your premix. If there's a leak there, it's a safe bet that it's sucking air IN, which will wreak havoc with jetting and trying to get it to run properly, let alone shorten the life of the cylinder and piston. 3)Look to see if there is any leakage around the clutch cover. If so, replace the gasket. 4)Last but not least, make sure the tranny is not overfilled! This will only exacerbate any leaks you may already have.

If you are unsure of the inner workings of the Tecate-4 motor, go to www.buykawaski.com, click on "view parts diagrams", jump through all the hoops of entering your type, year, and model, and then you will be able to view exploded drawings of every part of your quad, including the motor.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2001, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Nimisis,
I owned a Tecate-4 for a couple of years and what warrior007 said is the most probable scenario although its not because your pipe isn't sealed properly. If it still has the original pipe on it, it will leak there no matter what you do.

First thing you do is switch to a high quality mineral based or synthetic oil and mix it to your gas at 32:1 or 40:1. You will notice a performance gain immediatly.

Second thing is to replace your silencer with a new aftermarket silencer, like an Answer or?? and your Tecate will run like its supposed to without the oil blurb from the exhaust. If the pipe is damaged, like if has a dent in it bigger then 2" in diameter,it should be replaced also.

These simple and enexpensive upgrades made my Tec-4 run faster then my 250-r and thats saying something. Unfortunatly they still handle like crap..no offence.. and that is why I sold it.

Old 12-31-2001, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

first off this quad isnt stock..it has fmf fatty pipe and silencer, kx 500 reed cage and reeds, 300 big bore kit and k&n air filter.

also yes it does have oil gumbo on the case..its not alot but alittle..i think this is it..just i thought. could it be that the power valve is leaking oil? b/c the side cover had oil on the bottum of it. could it just be a seal gone bad in their?

thanks

Old 12-31-2001, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

oh and i also use honda high performance 2 stroke oil..32:1

thanks for the help guys

Old 01-02-2002, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

That thing must rip with a 300 kit, I'd like to see it run but doubtful that can happen.

Been too long since I had mine apart (sold it 6 years ago) so I cant remember what it looks like. Generally speaking, if the oil is clean honey colored its comming from the trans. If its black and gooey then its exhaust spooge. Check that kawasaki wed site as brianc suggested, earlier in this thread, and see if there is a seal for the power valve.
The oil in the transmission does not go into or around the cylinder as it does on 4 strokes so the leak will be in the main cases or side case.

Old 01-02-2002, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for all the help guys..and yes this tecate is really fast.but i got lucky i traded my warrior and got some money for with the deal. although i road alot of woods and i kinda miss my trusty warrior. anyway thanks again

Old 01-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hold on a minute nemisis, I'm not a tecate 4 expert, but would love to be.
Lets get on with the biz at hand, it's not stock, soooo, were is the tranny over flow at, were is the fluid level at.
These guys are correct about the exhaust, but you may be causing the problem.
First off I'm an amsoil guy, so buy some!!!!!!!!!
But any way, use only one kind of two stroke oil and one kind of tranny oil, this will stop guessing.
I'e delt with this problem many times and it's usualy the tranny over flow.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: i need a 2stroke genius please..tecate trouble