Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Kawasaki vs.. Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up fellas'...

I'm coming to you guys because this is the BEST message board I have ever been a member to. Nowhere have I found such a big member base- and quick responses to all my questions... so here's my delima-

I just bought a new 2002 Ford F-150 and I have searched HIGH and LOW on the internet for a good message board / forum. Is there any FORD F-150 owners out there that belong to a message board/forum? Every forum I have found only has like 50 members - and there is one post a week. It's totally lame. I need some good hop-up info for my truck.

Please post or email me the forum links...

Thanks!!!

Brian
cbrian3@qwest.net

Old 01-07-2002, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

www.f150online.com
You will be very imprest

Old 01-07-2002, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

I have done a bunch of crap to my 1997 F150 4x4, 5.4L

Superchip - Made tranny shift real hard, power increase was finicky, sometimes faster, sometimes slower than stock, depending on the weather. I took it off.

K&N Filtercharger Kit - The most declicious horsepower increase. Made intake sound a bit louder, not bad. I modified it and made the tube out of plug drawn smooth bent steel tubung. I used a long steel reducer pipe and better mated with the throttle ID than K&N did. A little more powerful than the original K&N system.

Flow Master - Increased towing performance, may have hurt acceleration. I took it off too.

Fan Removal - I put an electric fan on it. Only affects off the line performance from a stop, makes it jump off the line a little quicker.

Glass pack - I got a glass pack with a 2.5" core (not the 2" cores that pep boys sells) and it left it a little weaker pulling the trailer at 1700-2000 in 4th gear, but it has gobs more acceleration at higher RPMs and higher throttle speeds. Isn't too loud because of the catalytic converters. Sounds great. It's a little bit loud a full throttle. I can't decide to keep it or not.

How can I get better performance than what I have?
3 areas.

1. bigger throttle, bigger Air Flow Sensor. I don't feel this will do much unless I mess with the exhaust.

2. Headers and full dual exhaust, joined by an X pipe thing (the best thing to have your torque while keeping acceleration). I feel there is a lot of power locked up here, waiting to get out with headers.

3. Blower. Ford Engines are plenty durable enough for a blower. thats why so many companies make blower kits. The good ones are the Holley Pro Thunder and Ken Bell, as they are screw blowers and not the less reliable gearchargers.

I don't know how serious you are about it, but my brother has a expedition with a 4.6. He has no money to mess with stuff. But, he got some good free power just by drilling a 4" hole in the bottom of his air cleaner housing (dirty side, obviously) on the bottom so you can't see it.

Old 01-07-2002, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

nyroc-

Good info...

I'm suprised to hear your superchip didn't work out... I've only heard POSITIVES about that chip- so I was considering getting one... Now I'm second guessing it...

What do glass-pacs do? I'm considering adding a flowmaster exhaust (40)... I want a Beefy Low growl when I step on the gas... any suggestions as to how to make this louder?

Thanks

Brian

Old 01-07-2002, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

the flowmaster was very, very deep. But it was not all that loud.

The glasspack sounded the same at idle, but growled louder under power.

I forgot which muffler I had, might have been a 40, but I guess I would say, get the louder of the flowmasters (30?). It really won't be that loud with those huge Ford catalytic converters.

I really recommend getting one of those X pipes and going dual exhaust all the way, whether you glasspack or flowmaster performance muffler.

You won't get much power without the intake kit either. Single exhaust is too much restriction after the intake kit.

Good luck. VRRRRM! Chirp! I chirp everywhere. Lay big patches.

Old 01-07-2002, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Go to the site I gave you. thier you will find out the flowmasters hurt the bottom end and a new Y pipe is needed.
I personally think the gibson is the best but I'm not into all that lowd stuff

Old 01-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Gaff is right about flowmaster. I feel I wasted my money. I am looking for a better Y pipe, or a way to get a X on it.

Gibson and some other have a much better dyno results.

Old 01-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

As I recall, the Flowmaster 50 series is the loudest as it only has 2 chambers. I have been very happy with it on my Ram 1500. It has an awesome sound, but it is not annoying. I have lots more power pulling my 26' Weekend Warrior loaded with quads and jet skis. I will be looking at a new F350 soon and I guarantee that it will have a Flowmaster 50 series on before it reaches its first 50 miles.

Old 01-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

<< I need some good hop-up info for my truck.

Please post or email me the forum links...

Thanks!!!

Brian
cbrian3@qwest.net
>>

Well, the first thing you do is bring it back and get a Chevy, if you want something more powerful and faster! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] hehe jk

I had to put that one in. For your question: I would suggest f150online also. Another one would be pickuptruck.com . Lots of info there.

The loudest Flowmaster is the 40 series, but for some trucks it is not enough back pressure. Whatever you do, make sure you get a muffler/s or glass packs. I see so many trucks running around with straight pipes and they think they are so d@mn cool because it is loud. All it does is burn the valves and is annoying at highway speeds. Hope this helps.
Later

Old 01-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

Roofer, I stand corrected, the 40 is louder than the 50. I remember now...I had the 40 installed.

Quick Reply: Kawasaki vs.. Ford F-150