Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

650 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002 | 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Ash, Show me a quad that doesn't have any problem. Thats the one I want.

Old 01-19-2002 | 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

It seems like this doesn't occur on everyones machine. Is the 4wd activated electrically or what? I'm starting to wonder if all these small problems come from not getting the proper service and adjusting after break in. I asked the dealer about the choke sticking problems, and he says that they need to be adjusted after break in and that's why there is problems. Yes, it does sound like he just wants business and is trying to drag people into it, but I have heard the same from other dealers on other brands, Polaris, Honda, Yamaha, etc...

Old 01-19-2002 | 07:24 PM
|
Range Rover

My 4WD has not worked properly every since it was new. There were intermittent problems with it engaging before the actuator was changed and now less than 10 hours later those same intermittent problems are occurring. I thought about just leaving it in 4WD on one of my rides but it did the same thing. This is one tough ATV, I wished the 4WD worked as designed. That's the only problem I've had with it though. Maybe newer models have this problem resolved.

Old 01-20-2002 | 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Preacherman, take the quad to a different shop to see if they can fix it. Mine works as designed, and as the others have stated.

Old 01-20-2002 | 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

I,ve experienced nothing but flawless action of my 4x4 mechanism on my machine. I live in norhtern maine and I just had mine out in -5 degrees this morning and it worked well then to. It sounds to me like your dealer has some mechanics that don't know how to fix your problem, so take it to another dealer.

Old 01-21-2002 | 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

My new 650 was slow to shift from 2wd to 4wd as well. As the owners manual recommended, I changed the front differential oil at about 100 miles and put 10w30 oil in it. Now the front differential works great. It shifts back and forth from 2wd and 4wd immediatley. My 2 cents worth.

Old 01-21-2002 | 10:20 PM
Range Rover

Just dropped my front diff fluid. I replaced it with some 5w30 for winter riding. I noticed the used oil had quite a bit of metal filing in it. I have been encoutering a groaning noise when engageing the diff lock. I work at a refinery so I'm going to see if I can get the used oil analysed to find out if there is a problem on the horizon.

Old 01-22-2002 | 08:10 PM
|
Range Rover

Took Prarie 650 back to shop today where it was purchased. Talked with owner who was surprised of the problem. Service Manager said they replaced some kind of little square piece the last time I had it in there by the 4WD actuator. They're going to check it out again and also check a noise I started hearing that sounds like a belt slipping. Noise doesn't last long, once ATV moving the noise stops. I'll be sure and post the findings when I get the ATV back, hopefully no one else is experiencing similar problems. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-22-2002 | 10:35 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same probleme the belt slipping at 500 miles, my dealer change the belt and adjust the clutch now the bike is at 1000 miles and the problem is coming back I don't know if we have to change the belt at every 500 miles and of corse the warranty is over.........

Same problem with the 4x4.........

And the bike is overheating to.......

This is my second KVF and this is the last one......

Old 01-22-2002 | 11:15 PM
|
Range Rover

Overheating? Imagine that! I heard bubbling noises yesterday when we arrived back to camp. I checked the coolant level and it was OK. The overheating indicator never displayed so I assumed everything was OK. Should I get he shop to check that out too?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]